Top vs Bottom Grate cooking temperatures?

Dano C.

Hello,

I'm new to the forums here, and just got my smoker about 3-4 months ago, but so far have smoked quite a bit. I have been using Gary Wiviott's book "Low and Slow" as a guide, and have been sticking to it just like he says (although I think I will switch to Kingsford briquettes pretty soon). And so far, I have only used the top grate of my 18" WSM for cooking.

So I am wondering about cooking temperatures for the lower grate. Does it cook at a lower temperature? Does meat on the lower grate typically require a bit more time?

Are there any other differences in cooking between the 2 grates?

Thanks a lot!
Dano

That has been measured,studied,and debated on here for years,Dano. In my experience, the temp variation between the top and bottom grate is insignificant. My rule of thumb is to put whatever I think is going to take the longest to get done on the bottom, keeping in mind that poultry bears special consideration.

Dano,

I smoked 6 slabs of baby back ribs over July 4th. Three on top rack and three on bottom. Was still learning my 22.5 WSM and all slabs were removed at the same time. They were all very tender but a bit overcooked to me. That was my fault, too long in the smoker but my point is I could tell no difference in taste or texture from the bottom and the top racks.

Scotty W.

I agree with Tom and have had the same experience as Scotty. OP asked about differences - One difference about the bottom rack is that it's harder to get to. I wouldn't use the bottom grate unless I had to (cook more or more head room). The top grate is about all I ever use.

I'm pretty sure that I read something by Harry Soo of Slap Ya Daddy bbq team and he said as a rule of thumb the bottom grate is about 10 degrees hotter than the top. I'm fairly new to the WSM and haven't used the bottom grate.

My top grate is about 30-35 degrees hotter than the lid thermometer, although I've heard some say their top grate is cooler than the lid.

Kevin Kruger would tell you that it doesn't matter, the only place you should check is at the top vent, and I agree (after following his advice on many things and finding he's usually right!!).

It's probably a 10-15 degree difference, but you aren't smoking at temps where stuff on the bottom will cook markedly faster...

The variable temp of top vs bottom while BBQ'ing is minimal. The most relevant issue is access.
If cooking poultry and non poultry together, the poultry should go on the bottom for the simple sake of sanitary.
It's a pain in the butt to get to the lower rack so place the meat requiring the least attention there and leave the higher attention meat on top.
Example: Butt or brisket on bottom, ribs on top.
BBQ is pretty forgiving. You can do 4 butts, 2 bottom and 2 top, without issue. Just remember that they are all done when they are done to your liking.

Many times I've cooked two butts about the same weight--one on the top grate and one on the bottom. The food temps most always vary from each other during the cook, but they always seem to match up toward the very end of the cook, and both come off at the same time.Same with ribs and turkeys.

Originally posted by timothy:
Welcome Dano!
Since you did ask here ya go.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/temptest.html

Tim

Thanks for posting this link Timothy. I've only had 5 smokes so far all with water but 2 of them were butts. I cooked the 1st one on the lower rack and this last one on the upper rack. The jury is still out and they both turned out great but I think the one cooked on the bottom rack actually had a little better texture and tasted better.

I too have read about as much as a 15-30* difference between top and bottom racks. It's hard to argue with the results of the test they preformed. I have some very accurate temp measuring equipment that I use in my work. Just for fun, I will monitor both upper and lower rack temps. Sure hope they won't mind a little smoke stain on the instrument probes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back