Too Popular?

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Classes

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
One of the things I've always admired about you Harry is your willingness to put most of what you do in a comp right out there in the open for the spectators and even some of your competitors to view. You carry on almost like your giving a class. I had heard this about you but had the chance to see you in action firsthand at the Royal. Dude, you had an audience nearly 100% of the time! That's not even counting the camera crews. I mean this with the utmost respect, but half of our entertainment that weekend was watching you buzzing around doing sound bites, giving tips, shaking hands, taking pictures, signing autographs, and oh yeah ... cooking a major dual contest! (The other half of our entertainment was the not-so-great Elvis impersonator behind you guys) I applaud you for that. We need more guys like you who makes comps a more spectator friendly event. I'll admit that I'm one of those guys who has that "private zone" in my cookspace that if I need time to think or work alone, I can. As you know, most teams are a lot less approachable than you when it comes to comps. Take Trigg for instance. Great guy, consider him and Trish both as friends and mentors. But unless a spectator/fan is at his site at the exact right moment, you ain't gonna see him! He's tucked up in that motorhome. Johnny is social, but he's not going to do what you do. Which leads me to my observation and my question. During one of your PitMaster sound bites at the Royal you sounded a bit frustrated by all of the crowds and attention. So, in a competition type atmosphere ... can you be too popular?

Sorry, I get a little wordy sometimes.
icon_rolleyes.gif

BBQ is my passion and I feel very privileged to be able to cook the only true American food well. We stole the pizza, hamburger, hotdog, noodles, etc. BBQ is the only authentic American cuisine. I cook from the heart and love to share my passion with whomever wants to listen. When you give, it always comes back to you in even greater abundance. Our journey from backyard BBQer to national TV is testimony of that.
Crowds can be a challenge but if I can bring a smile to someone with my BBQ, that's priceless. I want everyone in America to be able to cook true American BBQ and be able to pass on that heritage to their children and their grandchildren. It will be a lost art if sites like this and other don't continue the tradition of authentic American BBQ. Sorry, I also get a bit wordy on a subject I feel passionate about.

Back