Today is National Brisket Day

Well, I got to eat some sausage I put brisket fat in, which as close as I was able to get today. I seriously need to make a pilgrimage to Lockhart.

Of course, you guys think like I do....:wsm: I saw that Saturday was National Brisket day, and had already planned on smoking one Saturday night for Sunday. So, I may not have gotten to eat any on Saturday, but at least I started smoking one. It was only the second one I've tried on the WSM, and was really good. I think I'm getting the hang of this thing now. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65664-2nd-Brisket-on-22-5-WSM

Jeff always makes me jealous, living down there in the Hill Country and central Texas Barbecue country..."I may have to go to Lockhart for lunch." LOL! Must be nice. Dustin, on your way down Lockhart, I'd go through Taylor and stop at Louie Mueller's first. Personally, I like theirs better than any of the big 3 in Lockhart. And, if Wayne is there, he's a very personable guy...and loves talking about and showing what he does. If you're in that area on a Saturday morning, a trip to Snow's in Lexington is a must. They open about 8:00-8:30, so you can have brisket for breakfast if you get there early enough.

Also, if you guys ever come through Texarkana on your way to Arkansas for any reason, we have a really good barbecue joint here on State Line called Naaman's Championship Barbecue. It is true central Texas style, and is right up there with the big boys when it comes to brisket and beef ribs.

Mick, We stayed in Texarkana on our move down here from New Jersey. I was surprised at what a big town that is! We were cross-eyed from the road and just ate at our hotel (Hilton, I believe). On the plus side, we had maybe the best food of the whole road trip.

I just finished leftovers from a brisket that I did a couple of weeks ago, so I did ribs this weekend. Did a rack of baby backs and a rack of spares. I haven't done baby backs in a long time, and though they were tasty, I do prefer the taste of spares. We are thinking of heading out to Cooper's in Llano this week, where that pork chop is calling me from the taste center in the back of my brain.

I have not yet made it up to Taylor, but thanks for reminding me. Louie Mueller's has been on my bucket list for a while. I belong to a gun range up in Lockhart so I have two good excuses to head up there. (Last week I stopped at Kruez for a quick sausage and slice of fatty brisket to steady my trigger finger.) My personal favorite up there is the beef rib at Black's.

It's been so damn wet down here and the forecasts have been useless, so it's hard to plan a long cook. We had hellacious thunder storms the other other day when they said it would be clear and today it's beautiful, but the forecast said storms. That's Texas, though.

Jeff

Back