To cover or not to cover

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
My gas grill sits out in the New England elements so I've always kept them covered. Anyone who has used a cover is wet areas knows the waterproof properties don't last long.

On the last grill I had a short Weber cover that I really liked, plenty of air flow to dry the moisture after rain. As the shorties have been discontinued for a good while, and no one else makes them, I've been stuck with the full length covers that go all the way to the ground. On my just restored Genesis Gold I got a cover with vents, they are just above the ground, and pretty much stay shut as there is nothing to keep them open. This cover is about a month old and is already letting water through, I suspect at the stitching holes.

So the question is, is it better to cover or not cover?

With a cover on, the grill stays wet till I remove it, without one it'd at least dry off without my intervention.

My grills are on a deck that's off the ground by 3 feet. So I don't think I have the moisture issue that I had previously when they were on the ground.

i cover mine here in the "banana belt" of Alaska.

Moisture build up from either rain or snow is a pain when you're on ground level like me. I prefer the short covers as well for air circulation but you got to watch the wind don't snatch it away.

I've had the long cover on the gasser freeze to the ground in the winter and had to chip it out of the ice when I got a hunger for a grilled steak.

Here in Eastern Pennsylvania I leave mine uncovered. It's on the patio on the ground outside and it gets wet and snowed on. I just repaint it every couple years :) Next up is some POR 15 on some light frame rust to get ahead of it. I don't like dealing with covers, so I just do everything I can to avoid needing one.

Best situation is to store it in the garage or under over head cover. Water and rust is one thing, but Sun and UV rays are another problem for grills. Especially the tables and other plastic parts.

Here we get snow in the winter, monsoons and relentless sun in the summer so I cover all ten of my grills five of which are under a tree that birds love to hang out in, yes it's a PITA but if I don't the sun and birds will destroy them.

I keep my gassers uncovered but they are under a gazebo and next to a fence so there is a little bit of overhead cover.

My 2 are at the edge of a covered deck. But I cover them year round.

I think covering them keeps out dust and debris too.

And the Classic Accessories Ravenna series includes a lifetime warranty.

Great point. I have one of the Classic Accessories Veranda series for my Performer Deluxe, it has a 3 year warranty. I had mine about two and a half years this summer when i noticed a hole along a couple edge seems on the top. I contacted them, completed a simple warranty claim with a couple photos and i had a new cover in about a week.

Was nice of them to stand behind their product.

Back