Tight lid on 22.5" WSM

Chris Thorp

So I just got my first WSM last week. I used it last weekend for the first time and I was wondering if my lid was unusually snug? I know about the gunk that can build up and make the lid stick once the WSM cools down, but this isn't it. The lid was sticking when dry and unused and also when up to temp and smoking with some wet drippings greasing the joint.

To seat the lid, I have to really lean on it. If you try to remove the lid by lifting it, the entire center section with the filled water pan, 6# of meat, and everything lifted up with it. To actually remove the lid, I had to grab the knob on the side door and the lower lid handle and pull, wiggle, and pull some more to get them apart.

I have tried putting the lid on rotated 90 degrees to the side, but it fits the same. With the lid just resting on top of the center section, it doesn't appear to be significantly out of round.

Is this normal for a new WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Thorp:
it doesn't appear to be significantly out of round...Is this normal for a new WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Definitely not normal. My lid fits nicely but on the last cook I dropped it. When I picked it up it looked to be ok (not out of round) but when I tried to put it back on the WSM it was very, very snug. I carefully pushed in on the sides to correct the not so obvious now out of round condition and it fixed the snug fit.

I'd say you have an out of round issue even if not obvious...could be the middle section that is out of round also.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
What size WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is a 22.5".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say you have an out of round issue even if not obvious...could be the middle section that is out of round also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess I better give it a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was going to measure my lid for you, but I have the 18.5.

I would measure across the bottom edge of the lid at 12 to 6 and 3 to 9.

Yeah Chris - I think I would have to agree with Don Cash. It does sound like your lid probably needs a little adjustment with some friendly nudging for a not so obvious out of round problem. Bob B

Well, it looks like it isn't an out-of-round problem. It looks like the lip on the top of the center section is actually rolled slightly inward instead of having vertical sides. That makes the lid "snap" into place and get stuck, like a clothing snap. I've actually had to pull so hard on the side handle to open the smoker that all the porcelain over the spot weld has chipped off the inside and the handle is starting to wobble up and down when you lift/push on it. So, I've sent an email into Weber customer support asking for a new center section and lid. Hopefully their customer support is as good as people rave about on here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
The lid fits nice and tight. I thought that was a good thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a good thing up until the lid is so tight that the welded-on handle is starting to come loose from all the pushing/pulling and the porcelain is all chipped off the inside of the lid over the welds...

Problem solved! The new parts from Weber came and did the trick. Trying various combinations of old and new parts, I have determined that the old center section was too small and/or had a turned inward upper lip. Using either the new or old lid on the old center section, the lid hang out over the lip on the center all the way around. Both lids drop right into the seat on the new center section.

The new center section is also different from the old one. Instead of having a rectangular cutout in the side for the access door, the top is a rounded into a semicircle.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!

Chris would you mind posting a picture of the new center sections door hole
icon_confused.gif
Thx
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Chris would you mind posting a picture of the new center sections door hole
icon_confused.gif
Thx
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here you go! I should also mention that the same door from my old center section fits the new center section. So the height and width are the same, they just rounded the corners. It does seem to reduce smoke leakage around the upper corners of the door.

2010-03-14_new_door.jpg

I have an issue with my center section too. I should have a new one this week. I'll be anxious to see what it looks like. So far the Weber customer support folks have been AWESOME..

Yes, the center section box included the large metal tube and a bag of hardware containing the four brackets, nuts, screws, and washers. It didn't include water pan, grates, or a door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes, the center section box included the large metal tube and a bag of hardware containing the four brackets, nuts, screws, and washers. It didn't include water pan, grates, or a door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks i was hoping i wouldnt have to extract the others
icon_smile.gif

Chris thx for posting the photo
icon_wink.gif
....that's the first we've seen of that style access hole! ..I've got a 2010 22" WSM, date code "AD"...square hole
icon_confused.gif
...must be a change for ???? Thx again Chris
icon_smile.gif

Mine is an AD as well. I just got my center replacement and it has the rounded hole too. The box had a label that said 2009 WSM 22.5 Center section replacement..

Just opened and put together a new 22 inch wsm, I must have this same problem, had to force it down into the middle section, when I removed it it even scraped enamal off the lid! Should I contact amazon or Weber? Funny when I bought my 18 wsm 3 years ago, the charcoal bowl was out of round, maybe just bad luck? Weber last time was a little of a pain to deal with so we'll see....
Chris
Bloomington, Il.

Back