Thursday night's ribs

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So we had the next door neighbor over Thursday night for ribs. Bought some spares (St Louis style) from Costco. Still needed some trimming up. Smoking for about 6 hours on the Wolf. Spritzed with mix of water, apple cider vinegar and real maple syrup. I made my own rub. Smoked paprika, dark roasted chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, cayenne and black pepper plus a bit of cumin.
Mix of hickory and mesquite woods. Came out delicious BUT despite being in there 6 hours they were still not fully cooked, ugh. The leftovers are quite good though as I simply finish as needed in the grill and superb.
20200709_183022.jpg20200709_183017.jpg

Look great Larry, I usually get Costco ribs because I've never had a bad rack from them until recently. I use the high heat method and they always have been great. The last couple of racks were as tough as beef jerky, I'm chalking it up to the meat shortage a couple of months ago hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
If there ever is a normal again.

Somewhere I gotta find this "high heat" method. Also is it good for spares/St Louis? Or for back ribs? Mine had quite a bit of chew in the them (not what I would call "tough") but more "chew" than I was hoping for. However the leftovers because I simply threw them back on the grill were fantastic. I think next time I do them 2 things will be different. 1. I am going to take the tips off prior to cooking and cook them separately, and 2. They will go on the grill same methods BUT longer time period. I was only able to get these to 150ish and I think they would have come out better if I had taken them to 190ish but time was not permitting
Sorry Bruce LOL :D

I assume you did the wrap on them part way through. And, I don't know how people can temp ribs with the meat being so thin and bones so close together. I use what they call the "bend test" to determine if they are done.

Here is the system I use for my ribs and I will say ahead of time that you will probably want to increase the cooking temp to the upper end of what they use in the recipe.

On much meatier cut ribs like these spares were it's actually easy to temp them. Especially with a fast meter like the one I bought No I did not wrap them. Choosing instead to do the spritz with the mixture I described

I've had the same problem recently with underdone ribs even after foiling them. I never had a problem before but this year I've had a few turn out tough and not very tasty.
The first time I chalked it up to just a bad batch. The second time I did two racks and one turned out very good while the other.... not so much. The last time it happened we threw them in the crock pot the next day and gave them 4 hrs on low with some Apple Juice. Bingo! The bones were loose and the flavor was perfect. The bark was soggy but I'll trade bark for being edible any day.
In the future I'm going to plan on them being done 2-3 hours before dinner to give us a cushion. If they're done, I'll keep them in a cooler. If not, I'll have time to finish them.

Back