Throwdown #14: Carne Asada

Who's got the best beef in Throwdown #14: Carne Asada? Vote now!

• Mike Cosgrove - Flank steak mulitas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Tony R - Carne asada with beans, rice, nopales, longaniza, salsa

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Brian Dahl - Asada steak sandwiches

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • John Solak - Rolled carne asada tacos & tortas

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • S Riddell - Carne asada salads

• Chris Lynch - Irish boy doing carne asada

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • David - Carne asada with corn casserole

• justin.williams - Fajita-style tacos

• Peter Gallagher - Carne asasa with avocado wedges

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Dwain Pannell - Carne asada with grilled veggies and pico de gallo

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Bill - Bigbill - Tequila lime carne asada with pineapple salsa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was a close one so far. I voted for Tony, even though the competition was stiff.

Your leading now Tony, Hope it last:)

Wow, only 37 votes one day before ending, of which 11 are likely the cooks, so that means only 26 others make the time or effort to vote..............not too good............................d

Wow, only 37 votes one day before ending, of which 11 are likely the cooks, so that means only 26 others make the time or effort to vote..............not too good............................d

Maybe someone should go to other forums & rally support! (did I just go there? lol, sorry)

It's most interesting to the participants, no doubt.

I' m also a little surprised based on the volume of traffic this site receives that there hasn't been more interest- Hopefully not a indictment of our collective cooking ability ;)

Probably a little late, but maybe for the next one, a reminder could be posted on the forum banner informing folks voting was open. This way, those who don't normally visit this part of the site would know there was something actively going on.

Chris says it's the 90/9/1 Rule. "90% of visitors are lurkers who never post a message, 9% of visitors post occasionally, and 1% of visitors account for almost all of the posts."

Probably true of those participating in the voting. I've only recently started posting after being a lurker for the most part. Anyway I did vote and all the entrants did a great job!! There are very talented folks here that sure know how to cook.

Hello, I am one of the 9%'ers that the previous poster mentioned, I casted my vote a while ago. I am also a lurker. If I can make a suggestion.....maybe an additional banner right next to the "grillfest" or have the "throw down" banner instead of the grillfest one? Why because I am just a regular bbq'er who normally would not visit the challenge pit category. Another suggestion is to have a separate "throwdown" category?

When I lurk I just normally use the "new posts" link and that makes me see all the daily posts.

Hello, I am one of the 9%'ers that the previous poster mentioned, I casted my vote a while ago. I am also a lurker. If I can make a suggestion.....maybe an additional banner right next to the "grillfest" or have the "throw down" banner instead of the grillfest one? Why because I am just a regular bbq'er who normally would not visit the challenge pit category. Another suggestion is to have a separate "throwdown" category?

When I lurk I just normally use the "new posts" link and that makes me see all the daily posts.
I hear what you're saying, it doesn't turn up in the "new posts", and if I didn't have an entry I probably wouldn't remember to go there.

Yea, I've always thought that it needs to be a banner ad announcing the voting. I know for the first several months I visited this site I never even looked at those threads, thinking it was about the competition circuit, of which I an entirely bored of, if I see M. Nixon another time it will be one too many......................d

Hey, b!tch all you want, suggest all outsiders to visit & vote, blah blah blah... the REAL voters are OUT THERE!
MAY THE BEST COOK WIN!
and i'm sure he/she will! :)

A few ideas to generate interest in the Challenge Pit Throwdowns and voting. They include automated slide shows. Automated meaning they run automatically with no need to click for the next pic.

The first banner/slide show stays up from the date a new contest begins through the day it ends. Here goes.
Come One! Come All!
Join Us For a Friendly Challenge Pit Throwdown <include link to the Challenge Pit Throwdown forum>
Insert a centered slide Show. (These are pics of jr. grillers, ie Dwain Pannell's grandson, Tony R's Anthony, separate pic of Tony's daughter (sorry, I don't know her name) and any other young Weber cooks who are near or distant family members. No adults in the pic. Must be G-rated. Cute, funny, happy, serious and sincere are all good.
End of the slide show description.
On one side or opposite sides of the slide show:
Open to All TVwBB Members
All Skill Levels Welcome
Across the Bottom. Below the slide show:
This Month's Contest is <insert name of food> <include link to the throwdown>
Submit Your Entry <Date> through <Date>
Contest Rules <link to the rules>
How To Post Pics <insert link to the instructions>

The second banner/slide show stays up from the date voting begins until it ends.
(I'm having difficulty with the wording. Lots of help needed here.)
Challenge Pit Voting
<Insert Date> through <Insert Date>
Slide Show: One plated pic for each of the previous winning throwdowns.
Voting Open to All TVWBB Members
Participation in the Contest Not Required

A third possibility would be a notice a few days or 24 hours before the final vote. This includes a countdown clock. Use a pic of a roaring Weber kettle fire.

* This is intended to be a discussion starter. Something to generate interest in the monthly throwdowns with the idea that it is a fun, friendly, supportive competition open to everyone. I do not get my feelings hurt easily and am guilty of thinking inside the box. So, please state your thoughts and creative ideas toward encouraging participation and voting.

To start: "Come One! Come All!" is kind of corny. (not the kind we like from the grill)

Last edited:
that's a great suggestion Josie.

Back