Things Ain't What They Used to Be

Brad Baker

TVWBB Fan
I haven't cut my hair since COVID started. I was going to wait until I got a vaccine to get a hair cut. That's not going to happen. My usual crew cut is getting shaggy and its time has come. I shopped Amazon to buy a DIY hair clipper. I guess I was a little late. Many are sold out or are double the price they were six months ago.

When shopping for something on Amazon, I start with the one-star reviews. Often, its a review of one they bought to replace the same model that worked great for twelve years. But the new version is flimsy, it overheats, cuts the skin, stops working, etc. The product quality goes down but the price stays the same. That's one reason why I bought a restored 20-year old Weber Genesis 1000 gasser to replace a 3-year old stainless box-of-rust (non-Weber). I may not last another 20 but that Weber will.

I still haven't bought a clipper.

Maybe you answered your own question. What about a vintage clipper off of eBay or Craigslist? Or an auction for a barber/stylist shop that closed down?

Yesterday I got my hair cut for the first time since the beginning of March, but going 3-4 months between haircuts isn't anything new for me.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I had the same thoughts a few months ago and Amazon was already picked over with no selection on anything but knockoff brands. I did manage to find a set of Wahl clippers with scissors, cleaning brushes and a full set of guards at Target.com. About $30 IIRC. You may find something there, or maybe WalMart.

I've been cutting my own for a few months now. My boys won't let me do theirs though. I got them to let me do the sides and back a couple times, but that's it. They are shaggy now and still won't let me near them, and the woman who normally cuts their hair is in Florida for an undetermined amount of time. Wife is taking them to the barber tomorrow - maybe they'll come back wishing they'd let me do it. :D

Last edited:
I've been cutting my own hair with a Wahl unit (~$40) for about 5 years now. 20 haircuts a year, and I used to get them from my barber at $15 a shot.

I don't really care if my clippers die tomorrow, I'll just buy another $40 set. :)

....and, yes, I've blown all the savings on meat and BBQ gadgets. :)

R

Speaking from a woman's point of view, I am just glad there are still men out there that cut or have their hair cut. I, for one, do not like to see a man with hair that from the back, you can't tell if it is a man or a woman. Sorry if I have offended anyone here, just MPOV.

Speaking from a woman's point of view, I am just glad there are still men out there that cut or have their hair cut. I, for one, do not like to see a man with hair that from the back, you can't tell if it is a man or a woman. Sorry if I have offended anyone here, just MPOV.

Joan, when I got out of the Army in '86, I didn't cut my hair for about 11 years!
Nowadays, it's cut about once a month by my wife using a Wahl that we got a Wally World several years ago.
We had an el cheapo one that lasted about 7-8 years.
Definitely got our $10 out of it!!

Retired last Nov. and haven't cut my hair since, always kept my hair short from prior military service. Wife asked me to let it grow for a year, kinda like it. Haircuts are not on my list of things to do. ;)

Barb trimmed mine until the barber shop reopened. The place I go is following very strict guidelines masks are required. Only those that are ready for service are allowed in the rest wait outside or in their cars and are called when it's their turn.

OK, this is for men with long hair. I have always had long hair. In my younger days, I remember sitting in my bed, 3/4 asleep, but I had to sit there and put my hair up in curlers to go to school or work the next day. And the dates I missed out on because I had to wash my hair (no excuse, that was for real lol) And it was a big deal to wash it and then set it. And then the years I decided to go blond. That's another story. lol I guess what I am saying is that having long hair can be a PITA sometimes and men don't have to put up with that, so, wondering, why do some men subject themselves to it?What is it like? How much trouble is it for men to maintain long hair? Just what is it like?

For a lot of us we don't have a choice. Either our kids or wives just make our hair up and commit suicide :D

OK, this is for men with long hair. I have always had long hair. In my younger days, I remember sitting in my bed, 3/4 asleep, but I had to sit there and put my hair up in curlers to go to school or work the next day. And the dates I missed out on because I had to wash my hair (no excuse, that was for real lol) And it was a big deal to wash it and then set it. And then the years I decided to go blond. That's another story. lol I guess what I am saying is that having long hair can be a PITA sometimes and men don't have to put up with that, so, wondering, why do some men subject themselves to it?What is it like? How much trouble is it for men to maintain long hair? Just what is it like?
:)In the morning hair is long enough to just brush back till i've had my 2 cups of coffee, after the morning shower shampooed hair is easy to manage no fussing blow drying or any of that just brush back and let it air dry and i'm good to go.

Joan, my hair gets curly when it gets long.
I would wash it nightly.
Nothing special, just Sauve shampoo.
It got conditioned 3 nights a week.
Now, this was in the late 80's/early 90's.
I liked it looking kinda rough! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I’m ready for a haircut! Not learning a new set of skills nor will I subject my wife to the stresses of the tresses!
When I can get in, I will do so. Before vacation to be sure!
Interestingly enough since I started writing this post, the temperature has dropped 15 degrees and a cold front has brought rain to the plant is I was too distracted to tend to this morning. Sometimes things work out for a reason.

Back