Thighs...

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Chicken thighs tonight, cooked on the kettle. Lump. Indirect the whole time. 350-375 in the lid vent.

Dry rub was white and black pepper, marjoram, thyme, cumin, sumac, Aleppo. I mixed some of this into softened butter and added some olive oil and salt. A little of this went under the skin and was thinly smeared on top as well.

Earlier I'd worked on a Blues Hog clone. I still had my little pot of that on the stove. Finding BH unbearably sweet and woefully devoid of flavor breadth and depth (and too viscous), I added a bit of water, a hefty dose of pomegranate vinegar, a bit more salt, a pinch of birds eye pepper, and a little of the rub for the chicken.

Nice, very crisp skinned chicken thighs, with leftover tomato-guajillo rice and frijoles borrachos from last night, fresh peas, the sauce drizzled on the plate - with just a touch on the chicken, so the skin would stay crisp:

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Kevin, those look SUPER tasty!

Our children are grown and there are just two of us at home. So, we have come to prefer chicken parts rather than doing whole chickens. We pick what sounds good at the time and I grill them indirect. It only takes less than an hour after the grill is lit. Most time I sauce with Sweet Baby Rays or Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce (ala Larry Wolfe). I normally grill the parts indirect for thirty to thirty five minutes, then start saucing every five minute for three times. They are properly done at that time and I have layers of flavor. I normally run three meals worth when doing these and we have the left overs later. They are as good re-heated as well as when fresh from the grill. We typically re-heat in a toaster oven.

I don't pretend to be the grill chef that you are, Kevin, but we sure enjoy the flavor that we get from the Weber OTG...

I normally use Kingsford for these quicker cooks.

Dale53

Back