Thermometer recommendation

DaleO

TVWBB Member
Looking to replace the stock thermometer, its gone wacky.
I see a number of different Tel-tru offerings, any one work better that the others?

Just published a video on this very subject. If you've got the stock 3/8" hole in the lid and you don't mind drilling it to 3/4" to 7/8", I highly recommend the Tel-Tru BQ300 with 3" dial and 2.5" stem. Better quality I think than the red/blue one shown in the photo below.

Just published a video on this very subject. If you've got the stock 3/8" hole in the lid and you don't mind drilling it to 3/4" to 7/8", I highly recommend the Tel-Tru BQ300 with 3" dial and 2.5" stem. Better quality I think than the red/blue one shown in the photo below.

Chris, what do we do with the tiny hole that also on the cover of the WSM 18 though?

You're referring to the registration hole that prevents the thermometer bezel from spinning around. I wouldn't do anything about it., but if you're so inclined, you can cover it with a small piece of high heat flue tape.
yes the tiny rectangular hole that prevents the OEM bezel and thermometer from spinning. by leaving it open, how does that affect temperature and loss of smoke?

yes the tiny rectangular hole that prevents the OEM bezel and thermometer from spinning. by leaving it open, how does that affect temperature and loss of smoke?
It won't have any effect. The hole is tiny....as you state.
I bet I lose more smoke from the "notch", and from the odd wisp escaping from around the door than through that tiny rectangular hole.

I see Amazon carries this same Thermometer in varying stem lengths. Would the 3 or 4" stems help or just get in way of the meat?

Back