Thermometer Prob pass through

Mike BBQ

Thermometer wires under the lid or through the prob grommets ? I have tried both and mostly because I dont like feeding the through I have been just going under the lid not its the best way and would like to know what others think and do.

Mike, one of my WSMs has the grommet. I really don't like it because the leads enter under the top grate so they get in the way should I need to get to the bottom grate. Consequently, I decided to cut the slot in the top and never looked back. Others will probably disagree bit it works for me.

So far, I've never used the lower grate. I bought an extra probe and keep it in the WSM permanently through the grommet. But I'm the oddball because the vast majority of posts I read indicate that folks cut a notch as said here by TFL, JW, and Geo.

Thermometer wires under the lid or through the prob grommets ? I have tried both and mostly because I dont like feeding the through I have been just going under the lid not its the best way and would like to know what others think and do.
If you cook on the top grate, notch the rim of the upper middle section. All your trapped/kinked probe wire worries disappear.

There should be a sticky on this in WSM Modifications. This question is asked with clockwork-like regularity, with all the same answers too. There must be dozens of threads on it. It may help the un-notched make an informed decision, and not have to start another thread.

Back