Thermometer help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I just got my SMC and cooked ribs and chicken first.Now I would like to try a brisket. I read a probe thermometer is nessary for the best results.
Taylor,Polder,Maverick ect. Digital,dial,remote?
What is the best? Oh one more thing, probes and water don't mix? Do they break all the time?
I would really like to "cry only once".
Thanks for all the help.

Dale, congratulations you're going to have a ball! I use a Polder knock off called a "Cooper" that I got from a restaurant supply store. $22 and I have never had a moments trouble. I pull it out of the meat when I'm finished cooking, let it cool, wrap the cord around the unit, and stick it in my box until the next cook. I'm sure any name brand would suffice. I would never cook without one. Internal meat temperature is the key.

Good Luck!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale Nichols:
[qb] I just got my SMC and cooked ribs and chicken first.Now I would like to try a brisket. I read a probe thermometer is nessary for the best results.
Taylor,Polder,Maverick ect. Digital,dial,remote?
What is the best? Oh one more thing, probes and water don't mix? Do they break all the time?
I would really like to "cry only once". [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You need a probe thermo b/c you don't want to keep opening the WSM to check meat temp. In my small arsenal, the Taylor wins for accuracy, price, quality of probe construction, and on/off switch. Find them on Amazon-- take the Amazon link from this site.

My Polder remote is twitchy. Maybe the new Maverick remote will prove to be the Holy Grail, but until some members here receive theirs and report in, it's too soon to tell. You won't cry with the Taylor until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back