thermomenter

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have just gotten the nerve to drill a hole in the smoker at the top cooking level and inserted a thermomenter. Do i now need to drill another one in the top and install another one in the dome. and would one in the lower cookin level be helpful? Just want to do it right. How have you WSM;ers done it. Thanks, jerry

Jerry,

I recently installed a New Braunfel's therm in the dome. I also use a Weber gas grill replacement therm through a wine cork in the vent on the lid (the NB is not that accurate). For the grates, top and bottom, I use Taylor Probe therms.

I use a long stem candy thermometer thru the top vent and I find it very accurate. It comes with a clip for attaching it to a pot and I flip it over so it works as a handle and keeps the thermometer head off the lid. I also use a polder on the grate.
Dave

I opted for the 1/4"-aluminum-tubing-thru-the-existing-bolt-hole-in-the-side solution because:
1. No power tools involved.
2. No expensive drill bit to buy.
3. No compromise of the porcelain enamel finish.
4. I couldn't be measuring any closer to the (top) grate without actually touching it.
5. No estimating the difference in temp between the thermo location and the meat.
6. No blocking the operation of the top vent in case I actually need to use it.
7. I can turn the thermo so the desired temp is at 12 o'clock, then I can check it at a glance from 20 feet away, (further with binoculars).
8. Total cost, not including the thermo: $.52 plus tax.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]1. No power tools involved.
2. No expensive drill bit to buy.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No power tools or expensive bits? But that's half the fun! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it's always good to point out that there are many different ways to approach measuring temp in the WSM. One size does not fit all--use the method that works best for you.

Regards,
Chris

9. No "driller's remorse" when you realize the hole you just drilled isn't where you really wanted it after all. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back