The lid hinge problem

RayBerry

I have reconditioned Weber 1200 except for the two broken parts of the cast lidends where small pieces have brokn off by the hinges. I am not sure how to correct this vital part. I could try to glue them together using strong epoxy glue or try to find a new lid or lid ends to replace them. But here in the UK I cannot find them. Any more suggestions would be valuable. I am an old man, so I hope you youngsters can help me. This matters to me or all my work is lost.

Pictures could be helpful but I'm envisioning it's the tabs at the back of the end cap(s) that hold the pin for the hinge are what's broken.
Others will chime in but, I believe there's too much side force on those areas for any kind of glue to be considered a permanent, reliable fix.
These are cast aluminum parts, you could try to find someone with the proper welding experience, but most will shy away from cast aluminum.
Something of this age will likely require a donor grill.

Many times, when I get to something I'm unsure of how to fix, I ask myself, "What's the worst that can happen?" In this case, have a lid hinge fail in the middle of a cook and having a relatively heavy scorching hot lid by the handle doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Back