The first time Brisket adventure

Daniel Cárdenas

Hi everybody, want to share with you my experience doing my first brisket, wanted to cook one time ago, but haven't had the time needed until yesterday/today, and i would like to ask you some doubts i left with.

Since the beginning I thought to do an overnight cook, feel sure about it because I already came to know how my WSM works, but I had the doubt choosing between minion (the one that I have been using) or to switch to the snake method, I had reading that snake gives you more control in temperature especially in the bigger 22 and in my mind I was thinking that it would consume fuel more efficiently so at the end I decided for the snake.

I bought the Brisket at an HEB, it was about 14 pounds, full packer, I wanted to find a choice grade for being the first time, but couldn’t find it and I pick up a select grade, I know it’s not the best choice but I wanted to start with something cheap if things went wrong, at home I trimmed it the most uniform way that I could and end with this:
Brisket 1.jpg

actually the fat cap was not very thick so i take of just a little and round the edges.

Then I dry brined it with salt and let it all night in the fridge. I prepare a rub with pepper, garlic and onion powder as a base, and add some dried chipotle and paprika and a little of sugar.

Then yesterday in the afternoon I started preparing the smoker, assembled the snake like this:

brisket 2.jpg

Used mesquite chips for smoke.

I started the fire at about midnight, and for this cook, I start the snake with only 10 lit briquettes, I wanted to have the temperature as close as possible to 225 and I thought that with 10 would be enough, so I started with it and assemble the rest of the cooker, meanwhile it came to temp I put the rub in the brisket using some steak sauce as binder:

brisket 3.jpg

brisket 4.jpg

And you know, its not an adventure until something start to go wrong, the temp took a lot to climb to 225, I had all vents open and even had to open the door for some period to give it a boost, after some time (I don’t remember exactly how much) It came at around 245, so I placed the vents like 3/4 open and I started to put the brisket on it and to place the probes, put the lid and… second part of the adventure, the temp drop A LOT, And didn’t look like it was going to climb, so I fully opened all the vents again, started to climb very slowly it was taking some time, so I started to open the door for periods to give it a boost. Even then after some time it doesn’t get up to the target temp. So I add 5 fully lit briquettes, it helped a bit, but even with that the temp just don’t come up, so after some more time (again, not sure how much) I added another 10 fully lit briquettes, and finally temp started to went up steadily, it reaches around 235-237 and after keeping an eye on it and make sure that looks steady, I went to bed, during the night I take a look at the temp twice on the screen of the remote, actually it hold steady without problems.
then next day in the morning I went to take a look and… third part of the adventure, to my surprise the snake was almost over, I didn’t expect that, it looks that it could last some one or one and a half more hour at much, so I moved quickly, take the brisket out, disassembled the middle part and move the remaining lit briquettes to the middle and refill the chamber all around, I decided to switch to minion for the rest of the cook, assembled the cooker again and went on, water pan was fine, no need to refill, temperature spike a bit but this time I could bring it back and stabilize it without much problem.

Before I had to make this move I looked at the brisket, it looked some dried in the bark so I lightly spritzed it with water.

It came the 8 hour of the cook, take an eye again and at this point I wasn’t completely sure if the bark were set, I make the nail test, it looks to me that it was good so I proceed to cover the brisket with the butcher paper and back to the smoker.

brisket 6.jpg

At 10 hour mark I gave it a probe test, it felt tough, so I leave it again, 12 hour mark gave it another check with the probe, it feels almost done to me so I leave it another hour, at the 13 hour mark I take it out, poke it with the probe and it felt to me that it as done, covered it with foil and into a small Cambro to rest for an hour.

And here the final result:

brisket 7.jpg

brisket 8.jpg

brisket 9.jpg

So this is it, was very fun to do it, next time I'm going to get a prime grade and I'm going to stay with the minion. Deep in my bones i know that i shouldn't try a new method, for a first time overnight cook, but i did it anyway lesson learned. :ROFLMAO:

About the Snake method, what do you think? i found videos at YouTube where people say that the snake could last for 12 hours, in this case it last like 5 hours, also i think that the same briquettes could have been interfered with the vents because they were very close to them, i don't know, i will try the variant with the coffe can and the bricks it should last longer.

About the brisket, i liked a lot, never do one before but in my opinion it came out as juicy as it could, about the bark, I'm not sure, it felt like humid to me, i don't know how much set its supposed to be, next time i will let it set for more time.

thank you and good night/days to everyone, Saludos.

Really nice job for your first brisket, especially a select grade one. I bet it tasted as good as it looked. I’ve never done the snake method because Jim Minion was my BBQ mentor, when I lived in the Seattle area and taught me all I know about bbq and about 12% of what he knew. I assisted him a several times in competitive cooks and we were Board members together of the now defunct Western BBQ Association.

Strong work Daniel!! I’ve never done a snake method cook on the kettle. I’m firing the WSM off for an overnight brisket tonight. First of the year, wife‘s son’s birthday feast, I asked “Brisket or Prime rib?” He said ”That sounds great!” So, I am taking the beef by the brisket and doing an 18 pound choice CAB brisket. I’m saving the Snake River Farms for another feast later in the summer. I think I’ll do the prime rib for MY birthday in August. It’s great to have upcoming feasts to plan!

Thats not done
You can see the connective tissue in the meat. It all has to render to be tender. The meat should look like it is cracking apart.. and should...with light tug...

I would use way more charcoal. Cook at 250. Wrap at 165 internal. It will be done at 202. Dont waste money on prime, it offe s nothing for a brisket imo, except a point thats too fatty to eat.

Last edited:
What’s not done? That brisket looks great to me I’d happily enjoy a piece or three of it. Or is the planning ahead not done?
The brisket. It's not done yet.
If you want to eat brisket that's not rendered completely and it's fatty and tough you might as well pull it off at 150 degrees.
Cuz technically it's cooked at that point..... But it's not done.

I'm not saying this to be negative. I want the OP to know they can do much better. They can put any barbecue restaurant out there they've ever been to shame with just a little bit of practice. But they're probably going to want to use a thermometer to do that reliably.

I definitely agree with @MartinB about using a thermometer. And that the brisket is not fully done. None of mine have ever had that fresh-looking fat streak -- always look at least somewhat cooked. Again, not critical, just an observation.

As far as the select vs prime, I've only done one prime and didn't see a whole lot of difference from the select obtained at Walmart, though it did take a lot of extra time to get to point to render well.

With my limited brisket experience (only 12 cooks), I found that I could only get good bark when the brisket was not wrapped. However, it tended to also be more dry -- especially on reheating. I've used butcher paper as well as foil, prefer the butcher paper, but want to try one where I remove the wrap 30-60 minutes before finish saving the drippings to burnish. I'd love to hear from anyone that tried that.

It looks delicious, and probably tastes delicious too. I do see the fat inside the brisket like Martin said but the OP did mention this was hi first cook.
It can only get better. I am doing my 6th maybe brisket cook in my life tonight for tomorrow....
I made mistakes along the way but have a good head about it now. Temp probes and thermometers keep my sanity. Ever watch Franklin cook his brisket......I mean if you have done something 5000 times you would be good at whatever it is too, but he uses his hands and knows when it is done. It is fun to watch.

If you're talking about that strip of fat between the Flat and the Point, it can be removed prior to cooking since it is known not to render.
Otherwise.... Excellent Cook !

While I agree about using a thermometer I’d say for a FIRST attempt, it’s great work. One of the things about this forum that I find most rewarding is the support offered by members that is constructive. Thank you Martin for clarifying your statement.

That's a good first attempt. I'm surprised you couldn't keep the higher temps. I really like the snake method. I've only used the B&B competition oak but I'm able to get to 300 (digital probe) if I wanted to. Lid thermometer usually read a bit above 300 over the coals. I stack the coals one on top of two and try my best to stand the bottom coals upright so I get more in. My vent is usually wide open at top and bottom open about 1/4. If I'm trying to hold 225 of less I'll shut the top vent down some. With the B&B I get about 11 plus hours burn time at an average of 250 degrees.
I also use a 9"x13" foil pan with about 8 cups of hot water added.

Last edited:
A69B2040-F764-4CF6-9C44-5FD5166E8B0A.jpeg
my buddy claimed this was the best brisket he’s had! He has been to LOTS of big guy places, it was tremendous! Merlot bourbon barrel from Fruitawood, flavor was amazing.
I just finished setting up for tonight’s long cook. I think this is about number ten for me. I’ve not trimmed the behemoth yet but, I have plenty of time. I’m using cherry on this one, the latest order from Fruitawood has not arrived yet. I’ll use that on the SRF brisket for the ”End of summer birthday“ party in late August/ early Septembe.

Thank you everybody for your help, I did not mention earlier, but I did use thermometers both for the smoker temp and for the brisket, (I wouldn't even attempt to do an overnight without it), when I pull out the brisket the thermopop read 180 if I don't bad remember, now, I totally have read and heard before that the pull temp should be 205, but, I have also read and heard that if you poke it with the probe, and it feels like it passes through it without resistance it should be done regardless of the temp, and in this case, considering that it was a select grade (less intramuscular fat to be rendered)I thought that it was done because when I poke it, it definitely felt very soft to me (again it's the first I make, don't have previous reference) now the point part didn't feel dry nor tough by any means, but the flat part definitely felt like that, but next time I will totally wait for the 205 reading i am sure it will be very much better.

Thank you too for the advice about the premium grade, I would look for a select or choice next time, considering the price of the premium, I hope soon.

saludos

Back