The coating on my 18 is coming off!

Just noticed last night that the outer paint coating on the bowl is literally flaking off! AHH!! It was too dark to get a picture and I was busy grilling a steak, so I'll try to get a picture this afternoon.

This sucks! The grill is an 18.5 OTG in blue and has been my 'go to' workhorse grill for a very long time. Does anyone know if Weber will sell me just the bowl section? I'm heartbroken that I'm going to lose my baby.... I know, it sounds stupid but I use this grill more than any other.

Russ

Yes, you can buy just the bowl but I don't know if replacements are available in anything but black.

I've often wondered if powdercoating would stand up to the heat, especially over time.

I do small powder coat jobs out of my garage. I've coated exhaust mufflers and engines from small engine scooters and it's held up fine. Not sure if our kettles get hotter than that or not. I powder coated the one touch cleaning system on my performer and it has held up fine. Although that part clearly doesn't get as hot as the lower bowl.

Russ, how old is your grill? Does the flaking look anything like this?

IMG_0555.JPG

Back