Thanksgiving Day Turkey

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
Last Christmas I cooked an 18lb. turkey on my 22" kettle. That inspired me to cook a bigger turkey on a bigger kettle.:)
For our Thanksgiving this year I thought I would try a 20lb bird. We cooked it a day early as Sunday was more suitable for the family. It was injected with a mixture of salted butter, stock from the bird and Simon & Garfunkel Rub. I also made dressing. Cooking on the kettle allows me to get the temps up so the dressing reaches at least 160F.
I smoked the bird with four small pieces of cherry. The flavour was mild and as you can see quite dark.

It rained for a good part of the afternoon, the cook took 6 hours.

I cook deeper into the kettle so that I have some clearance from the dome. I like to have 3 inches or so and be able to take advantage of the radiant heat. I also like to raise the bird up out of the fire so this was my set-up using my cast iron charcoal grate.
IMG_0532_zpsd580074d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0535_zps856a6d7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0536_zps066e8a04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0538_zps21f140e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0539_zps815b1e00.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0540_zps441d3c96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Time to carve :)
IMG_0543_zps4ae14d08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Great looking bird Gary!! You did it up right!! Happy Turkey day buddy!! Bet that was fantastic!!

Great lookin bird! I've smoke about 4-5 turkeys now and this year will be my first on the wsm. I've got a Performer, but I want to try it this year on the wsm.

Last Christmas I cooked an 18lb. turkey on my 22" kettle. That inspired me to cook a bigger turkey on a bigger kettle.:)
For our Thanksgiving this year I thought I would try a 20lb bird. We cooked it a day early as Sunday was more suitable for the family. It was injected with a mixture of salted butter, stock from the bird and Simon & Garfunkel Rub. I also made dressing. Cooking on the kettle allows me to get the temps up so the dressing reaches at least 160F.
I smoked the bird with four small pieces of cherry. The flavour was mild and as you can see quite dark.

It rained for a good part of the afternoon, the cook took 6 hours.

I cook deeper into the kettle so that I have some clearance from the dome. I like to have 3 inches or so and be able to take advantage of the radiant heat. I also like to raise the bird up out of the fire so this was my set-up using my cast iron charcoal grate.
IMG_0532_zpsd580074d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0535_zps856a6d7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0536_zps066e8a04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0538_zps21f140e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0539_zps815b1e00.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0540_zps441d3c96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Time to carve :)
IMG_0543_zps4ae14d08.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
How did I miss this post!!! Nice looking bird, and kettle!!! I love the inverted grate, it makes life so much easier.

How did I miss this post!!! Nice looking bird, and kettle!!! I love the inverted grate, it makes life so much easier.

I don't know but your idea of the inverted grill played a great part in my cook! So simple. There was a fellow on here for awhile, haven't seen him post in a long time, can't remember his name..Lew I think and his handle was "Old dogs new tricks, one cook at a time" I learned a new trick from you Mark :) Just as Tony mentioned this site is all about sharing!

Back