Thanks and Therm Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First off, thanks to everyone here. I bought my WSM about 4 weeks ago and have done something every weekend since then. There has not been a question I had about smoking on the WSM that I haven't found an answer to here. It's like having someone there with you that has done this before helping out.

I'm ready to buy a Polder-type thermometer. I saw some reviews on the polder itself that made me worry about the durability of the unit. I realize everybody's results will vary, but I've been doing a little research anyway.

The thermometer I've almost decided on is the Maverick ET-7 remote unit. I was wondering if anyone here has had good luck with this particular unit. It has a lot of nice features, but there aren't many places that carry it or have reviews of it.

Also has anyone seen it for less than $60? That's the best I've found so far (MSRP is $79.99).

Thanks,
-Lee

Lee,
I have the Maverick Ready Check single probe model. I'm very happy with it. I've had it for almost 3 years now and its still works great. If I remember correctly I paid $60.00 for mine.

rj

I was able to pick up a polder wireless remote thermometer on e?ay for under $35.00 with shipping. Model #746-90 brand new in box with warranty.

I can't believe I forgot about ebay! I looked and I found one there. Only four days left too. We'll see . . .

Lee,

I have the Maverick ET-7 and it works as advertised. It always seems to sell for around $80 no matter where you find it.

The ET-72 selling for $60 on the Maverick site is available for $45 from Frontgate.com

Regards,
Chris

Have you noticed the unit or probes lasting any longer (or not as long) than the Polder?

And FYI, I've heard they are boosting the temperature range of the probes to 570* sometime soon. Actually I found it here. It's someone's pretty nice review of it. To save the trouble (if you are interested) this is what he says about the probes after having talked to customer service:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> New probe available

The folk at Maverick are going to be changing the probes they use for their units. The new probes will have an upper limit of 570 degrees F (up from the current 410).

These probes are not yet in the units currently in the channel, but will be in the next production run.

They said the price is $12.50 per probe, plus a $6.25 shipping fee. I haven't ordered extra probes yet, but it's nice to see this small but welcome change.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure how up to date the info is, the page was lat updated 1/5/03, but it might put an end to burning out the probes (which seems to be a problem with these probe thermometers). Sounds interesting.

I've never really had a problem with probes on any of my thermometers. Unless you get a defective probe, I think it has a lot to do with how you treat them. I pretty much baby all my equipment. The first time I had to replace a Polder probe was after 5 years of use. I've had no problems with the ones that came with the Maverick.

The probes that come with Taylor thermometers have a plastic sheath where the wire enters the stainless probe, which I guess is intended to keep moisture out of the probe and add some strength to that junction. Maybe we'll see that added to other brands.

Regards,
Chris

I've had a regular Polder for several years and have been very happy with it. I received a wireless remote Polder for Christmas, and just got around to using it a few weeks ago on a brisket flat. What a screwball experience that was! Temps (internal) would read at one temperature for the longest period, and then suddenly jump 30 degrees higher. At one point, I used it to monitor cooker temp, and it matched my analog thermometer reading at 225, and then, similarly, jumped to reading 272 in a matter of seconds. There were also the constant "out of range" alarms on the remote-- from 3 feet away from the WSM. Fresh batteries all around, so shouldn't have been a factor. Any other similar experiences out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back