Thank you Jim Minion!

m grau

After smoking on my 22.5 OTS for a while, I finally bought a 18.5 WSM on Sunday. Monday around 10 I started a 6 lbs pork butt using the Minion method. After fiddling with the vents for the first hour or so, the temp settle in at about 250. I refreshed water twice throughout the day and took the butt off around 6:30 in the evening. Pulling it, eating it, getting the kids to bed etc and before I knew it it was 10:30 PM. I went out to shut down the WSM, you know, clean it up, put on the cover etc, and the temp was still at 250!

Jim Minion, wherever you are, I just wanted to say thanks! Refueling every hour sounds just too involved, especially when the pool beckons and your kids want to play.

Now I know that I can easily get 12 hours + out of the WSM without having to baby sit it. Checking every 3 hours or so on the water level is plenty.

I foresee a smoked filled summer spend by the pool...

Joerg

Indeed, amazing how long it can hold temperature. With my most recent outing I shut mine down after 15 hours steady at 230-240, and probably could have stretched it further!

Jeff

No doubt...I was impressed on my first use of this method. Before this I couldn't imagine smoking with anything but actual wood, nor could I imagine fuel lasting as long as it does.

I AM A FAN!

The first time I used the Minion method in my new WSM, I was making ribs for a rib-off at my buddy's house. I fired up my WSM at around noon. Ribs were done a few hours later. I took them off, went to my buddies house with the Mrs, and many MANY beers later got back home at about 3:30 in the morning. The lid therm on my WSM was reading 235 - just like it was when I left the house. Thats about 15 hours of steady temps on a new unseasoned WSM. Not too shabby.

ok, ive always done the mm. But if you lit it webers way.... fill charcoal ring up and light all coals....... how long would a fire last with proper setting of vents at 250 degrees?

Back