Texas Style Beans - What's your favorite bean recipe?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I made a "Texas Style" bean recipe yesterday that was a big hit. I thought it was an interesting recipe because it said to start w/dry pinto beans, soaked in water AND SPICES with some diced onion. After the soak, you put in some left over chopped brisket (I used smoked chuck) and then cook the beans until tender. The beans turned out great. There was a good amount of garlic & onion powder and black pepper in the spice mix (no surprise on the black pepper, right?). Everyone commented that the beans were "spicy" but no one said "too spicy", which in my mind, is the sweet spot. If you can find this recipe, give it a shot the next time you're going for a TX style BBQ night.

The book is called "Franklin Barbecue A Meat-Smoking Manifesto". I read this book cover to cover when I first got it but this is the first side-dish recipe I followed. Highly recommended. I might cut back on the black pepper just a smidge and add some fresh jalepeno in with the onions next time. I think the recipe would have been "OK" without the leftover brisket or chuck, but maybe substitute some hickory smoked bacon if you don't have the leftovers on hand? Also, if you have an instant pot and are looking for ways to use it this summer, this is a great option. I soaked the beans for about 6 hours, then pressure cooked for 6 minutes, let them sit in the pot for about 7 minutes, released the steam, and put on slow cook until ready to serve. I was in slow cook mode for about 3 or 4 hours yesterday.

Sorry, no photos on this post. I'll post some pics of my next cook. What's your favorite bean recipe?

Is this the recipe you used?

Aaron Franklin’s pinto beans
Servings 8
Author Adapted by Lisa Fain from Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto
Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried pinto beans
  • 1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup chile powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 cup chopped smoked brisket
  • Instructions
    1. Rinse the pinto beans and remove any rocks. Place the beans, onion, chili powder, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin in a large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water, stir until the spices are well distributed, and then soak the beans uncovered for 8 hours. Alternatively, you can bring the pot to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let them quick soak for 1 hour.
    2. To cook the beans, add the brisket to the pot. (Do not drain the soaking liquid.) You want there to be at least an inch and a half of water above the beans, so add more water to the pot if needed. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat down to low, cover the pot, and then gently simmer for 1 hour.
    3. After 1 hour, remove the cover and then continue to cook the beans until they’re tender, which will depend on the age of the beans. This can happen anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.
    4. If you want to make these in the slow cooker, after soaking, cook them covered on low for 6 hours, then remove the lid and continue to cook on low for 2 more hours.
      Recipe Notes
      If you’re not using kosher salt but table salt or sea salt instead, reduce the amount of salt to 1 tablespoon, otherwise the beans may be too salty.

Back