Texas Monthly - Where Have All the Savory Spareribs Gone?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member

Where Have All the Savory Spareribs Gone?

Now , there will be hordes of Daniel Vaughn followers looking for the next " new " thing .... the savory rib, he's already suggesting savory rib barbecue tours :D;)

For a lot of years, I used the Texas Sugarless Sprinkle rub that Chris has in the Cooking Topics . It was my only rub from the time I bought my first WSM in 2002 probably until BBQ Pitmasters came along and the very sweet " comp rib " came along. The Johnny Trigg rib covered with brown sugar, butter, and honey wrapped in foil. But now I'm enjoying an S/P rib sauced and wrapped in foil, what may be considered a " Texas rib " .

But I've been thinking about returning to the Sugarless Sprinkle, I've forgotten the flavor.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne

I prefer dry ribs and my rubs all have some brown sugar in them for the wife. She wants sauce on hers. I may have to cut our next rack in half and try this on my half.

Where Have All the Savory Spareribs Gone?

Now , there will be hordes of Daniel Vaughn followers looking for the next " new " thing .... the savory rib, he's already suggesting savory rib barbecue tours :D;)

For a lot of years, I used the Texas Sugarless Sprinkle rub that Chris has in the Cooking Topics . It was my only rub from the time I bought my first WSM in 2002 probably until BBQ Pitmasters came along and the very sweet " comp rib " came along. The Johnny Trigg rib covered with brown sugar, butter, and honey wrapped in foil. But now I'm enjoying an S/P rib sauced and wrapped in foil, what may be considered a " Texas rib " .

But I've been thinking about returning to the Sugarless Sprinkle, I've forgotten the flavor.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub

• 1/3 cup table salt
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon cayenne
I just saw a sign on a local restaurant this afternoon for their savory ribs.
Think that I might try this recipe one of these days.

Having moved from nor cal to south Texas, well, let's just say things are different. So far all the spots I've tried here do a savory rib and my wife and I both prefer it when you're having a few.

When cooking comps I sweeten and slather them up. And I can't stand to eat more than one. If I ask for her opinion my wife will take a bite but that's all.

So to answer your question, they are at my house! Y'all come down and have a few. Beer on tap, full bar and a spare bedroom. Come on down.

Back