Texas Burgers

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
WEBER

Now I have created a problem. DH wanted our homemade Taco's for dinner tonight. He saw this recipe that I want to post here and now he has a decision to make. lol

Texas Burgers with Cheddar Cheese and BBQ Sauce

SAUCE
1 TB. vegetable oil
1/2 med. yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2 TB. Worcestershire Sauce
1 TB. packed dark brown sugar
1 TB. prepared chili powder
1 TB. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

PATTIES
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck (80%)
1 TB. prepared chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

4 slices cheddar cheese, each about 1 oz.
4 hamburger buns, split
4 leaves romaine lettuce, shredded
16 sweet pickle chips (optional)

1. In a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until super soft and as dark as possible, 12 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Regulate the heat so the sauce simmers gently. Cook until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Mix the patty ingredients, and gently form 4 patties of equal size, each about 3/4" thick. With your thumb or a back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1" wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium high heat (400 to 500 F).
4. Grill the patties over direct medium high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to medium doneness (160F), 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, place a slice of cheese on each patty to melt, and toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.
5. Build each burger on a bun with lettuce, a patty, barbecue sauce, and pickles, if desired. Serve warm. The extra sauce can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 1 week.

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers

I have that Weber book, so I bookmarked it. So, if it ever gets warm enough to grill again, I'll give it a try.

Hi Rich, DH just came back from the store. He bought the rolls and yellow onion. He wants to cook this for dinner tonight. Will let you know the results later.

Hi Rich, DH just came back from the store. He bought the rolls and yellow onion. He wants to cook this for dinner tonight. Will let you know the results later.
Sure hope it comes out better than that Olive Rice.... yuck!

DH just told me that he did not buy yellow onion. Wants to use our white onion before it goes bad. Oh well!

DH said he thought the burgers were very good. I was surprised that they weren't hot and spicy for me with all that chili powder in them.

DH wants to use the leftover sauce on ribs tomorrow night. Any suggestions on what he should add to it?

Back