Teriyaki Beef Kabobs

Jason M. Park

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been working on a recipe for grilled beef kabobs, and this one is a winner! It's rather sweet and sauce-y, but it tends to be a real crowd pleaser, and start-to-finish takes only about an hour.

Ingredients:
Tri-Tip roast (2 - 2.5 lb)
One of each red, green, and yellow bell pepper
several large white mushrooms
several small (about 1" diamater) onions (if you cannot find that size, a regular white onion can be used, cut into eights)
kikkoman teriyaki sauce (the really thin stuff)
kikkoman teriyaki baste and glaze (the really thick stuff)
garlic granules
olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

Cut off the fat cap from the tri-tip, if you really like the fat on the tri-tip, leave it on. Cut the tri-tip roast in large pieces, as square as you can get them. One whole tri-tip should be cut up into no more than 15-20 pieces. Marinate tri-tip pieces in the THIN teriyaki sauce for 30-45 minutes.

Cut up the peppers in large pieces as well. One pepper should yeild 6-8 good sized pieces. Place peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a bowl, season with a few tablespoons olive oil and the salt, pepper and garlic granules. Just a good overall dusting of the dry spices.

After soaking the skewers, start sticking them up. I usually will have 3 pieces of meat per stick. My pattern usually goes meat on the ends and in the middle, the veggies go between the meat pieces. That helps hold them on.

Set up your kettle grill or gasser for high-heat grilling on one side, and indirect on the other. Grill the kabobs 2 minutes per side, on all 4 sides. It's sometimes difficult to turn the whole thing, but try to get all sides evenly cooked.

After the 8 minutes on direct heat, the meat should be a perfect rare. Now baste the entire kabobs with the really thick baste and glaze sauce and move them over to the side without the coals/heat. Continue cooking on indirect heat until meat is at desired level of doneness, about 2-3 minutes per level.

Once done, remove from cooker and serve. Rave reviews will follow. Enjoy!

Back