Temperature settings corresponding to the Weber dial

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
My Weber 435 is new to me. I have done burgers and salmon with no problems, on pretty much high settings on the dials straight across. My infrared pointer probe had the grill surface around 535 degrees (Grill Grates on top). Has anyone have any photos or charts showing the location of the dials to try and set the dials at different lower temps?

I realize there is a learning curve with your grill, but was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the approximate dial turn (and number of burners on) with what temperatures.

Thanks

Here are my notes from my Genesis II S-435 natural gas grill. Temperatures are from a probe at grate level.

Ambient 75F
2 burners minimum 250
2 burners 1/2 circle 300
2 outside burners max 350

Ambient 56F
4 burners minimum 375

ETA:
This is with factory stainless grates. I've no idea how aluminum GrillGrates would affect it, probably depends how much area you cover.

Last edited:
Here are my notes from my Genesis II S-435 natural gas grill. Temperatures are from a probe at grate level.

Ambient 75F
2 burners minimum 250
2 burners 1/2 circle 300
2 outside burners max 350

Ambient 56F
4 burners minimum 375

Thanks. That is helpful. Before my first cook with the 435, I checked the temp with and without the Grill Grates, and they were basically the same. The Grill Grates are wall to wall on the 435. I am a big fan since it has almost completely eliminated my flame outs.

Since the 435 is new to me, I am used to turning on all of my burners for almost every cook with my old Char Red, unless I am doing indirect cooking. Your note mentions you only turned on 2 of the burners on the 435 for your cook. Obviously it depends on how large is the cook ( I cooked 14 burgers at once for Fathers Day). Do you usually only turn on less than all burners?

Not to get this never-ending debate restarted, but I have used GrillGrates a fair amount. From my experience, it IS true that GrillGrates can trap a lot of heat underneath. I personally feel it is very important to (1) keep those vent holes clear and (2) to leave breathing space on either side of your grates.

Steaks & Burgers with smoke.jpeg

GrillGrates do concentrate heat at the top rail level, which is partly why they give bold grill marks. Although cast iron also gives great grill marks, I personally think GrillGrates can be of use as part of your arsenal - especially in the winter or in wet weather where their aluminum construction makes them immune to rust. I also realize that GOOD, THICK stainless rod grates can give excellent grill marks. I use them, too, but it is not quite the same to my personal taste.

Beyond what has been offered already, many factors other than where you have the knobs set can have an impact on grill temperatures. Altitude, air damper adjustment, carbon buildup in burners, ambient temperature, wind and sun load, just to name a few. Settings that some have offered should get you into the ballpark but there's nothing like learning your own grill.

Thanks. That is helpful. Before my first cook with the 435, I checked the temp with and without the Grill Grates, and they were basically the same. The Grill Grates are wall to wall on the 435. I am a big fan since it has almost completely eliminated my flame outs.

Since the 435 is new to me, I am used to turning on all of my burners for almost every cook with my old Char Red, unless I am doing indirect cooking. Your note mentions you only turned on 2 of the burners on the 435 for your cook. Obviously it depends on how large is the cook ( I cooked 14 burgers at once for Fathers Day). Do you usually only turn on less than all burners?
Yes, I often direct cook on half the grill using two burners left or right.

Those notes are for longer indirect cooks with food in the middle and the two outer burners lit. That was from my Genesis II 435. I guess you have the new Genesis 435 as pictured above. I just upgraded to that one and found it runs about 50F hotter than the Genesis II at the same settings. Yours may differ as well.

All of this is great information. I have found that the new 435 runs very hot which is good for me. I did veggies and chicken shish kabobs. I placed the dials at the 8 o'clock position. Still read over 500 on the grill surface with the infrared pointer. Still a great cook! Just have to probably try the 6 o'clock position next time

Back