Temp to hold brisket at on performer

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
I have an 8lb brisket trimmed and rubbed and in the fridge for tomorrows Smoke Day. I'm going to use one charcoal basket and start it minion method. Drip pan under the brisket with some apple juice in it. I have a new Maverick ET732 ready to try out also.
I'm thinking I have to try and maintain 250*, spraying with AP every 20 mins, set in foil after 4hrs with top of foil open, hoping it's fork tender in 8 hours. Will then completely wrap in foil and let set on counter top for 1 hr. Using mix of apple and hickory wood chunks.
Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan.
Thanks, Al

Skip the spraying, it slows the cooking process and doesn't add much to the overall flavour. Lifting the lid that often will also play havoc with your temps. I would also count on it taking more than 8 hrs, it's easier to hold it warm than it is to make it cook faster to get it done.

Skip the spraying, it slows the cooking process and doesn't add much to the overall flavour. Lifting the lid that often will also play havoc with your temps. I would also count on it taking more than 8 hrs, it's easier to hold it warm than it is to make it cook faster to get it done.

I know this is a few days late, but I agree with the above. I cook at 250 plan for 1-1.25hrs per lbs of brisket. I don't rap my brisket or pork butts, but your more then welcome to do it. I just like the way the bark come out when I don't rap it, that's for a whole packer brisket though, a smaller store trimmed brisket might dry out faster so you might want to go with a rap. So how did yours turn out?

Back