Temp Probes / Thermometer questions

Aaron Lucas

TVWBB Member
I have a friend who is wanting to upgrade his grilling experience
He saw my thermopro tp08 and likes the idea of wireless monitoring of his grill
He also likes grilling/searing steaks

My initial thoughts were to use an instant read thermometer but we’re wondering if there are any leave in thermometers that could also work while searing his steaks? My impression is that searing steaks and leave in temp probes don’t mix all that well.
If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations it would be great to hear some opinions.

Doesn’t necessarily need to have a wireless transmitter, mainly I think he feels like being able to monitor a steak through the entire cook.

Last edited:
Please no double-posting to multiple forums. Thanks!

Your friend can probe the thickest part of a tri-tip roast with something like ThermoWorks ChefAlarm or similar, and can probably do the same through the edge of a steak, trying to hit the center. You have to be sure to not exceed the max temp spec for the probe cable; for ChefAlarm, that's 700*F.

There is also Meater, a wireless probe that can be inserted through the edge of a steak and reports temp to your smartphone via Bluetooth. It has an ambient temp of 527*F, I maxed mine out when I tried it and had to remove the probe from the meat. Some people like it a lot, I had a bad experience and never went back to it.

I have ruined two Thermoworks probes by leaving them in the meat over open flame from a wood fire, even though I tried to keep the probes out of the flame.

I've never had a problem if there was no flame. But I would still be cautious, even with flare ups.

Back