Take a break from competing?

Started looking at the first half of my 2014 competition schedule and realized that I was starting to say no to more and more of them. The excuses were time, money, distance, bad vibe from previous year(s), heat, cold, just general pain in the backside, etc. I was coming up with all sorts of stupid reasons.

So then I got to thinking that maybe I've just lost the desire to compete. The first few years were exciting and time/money/distance didn't matter. I would gladly sleep in the bed of the truck in a sleeping bag and not mind (too much) dealing with overworked Port-O-Johns. Now it's, 'Damn, I gotta clean that trailer again??'.

Then I got to thinking back to the last couple of weekends working on building my new smokehouse. I was happy and having a great time thinking about all that bacon and jerky I'll get to do, and learning how to do sausage, hams, salami, etc. Basically, the old fire.

So I guess it's when do I throw in the competition towel? Do I just keep the trailer and only do the comps that interest me? Maybe I'm just getting tired of doing the same four meats every time. I mean after prepping hundreds (maybe thousands) of chicken thighs, it just starts to get a little old.

There's still a few comps that I enjoy, but the best part is the friends that I've made over the years and I would sorely miss them. I still would like to go do the Royal (Open) one of these years just so I can say that I did it. Perhaps I should just take a few months off from competing and re-assess later on.

Anyone else come up to this point and felt like a decision might be needed?

Russ

As a no0b to the comp scene, I can only say perhaps once you let a few comps go by you, you might then get the want/need/desire to compete again. Nothing wrong with taking a break though. I have no doubt I'll be wondering the same thing as you at some point in the future. Do what feels right for you. Building a smokehouse definitely sounds fulfilling not to mention a task and a half with ridiculous possibilities!

bbqing for money on the side or for competition introduces elements of responsibility (planning, logistics, expectations) that aren't there when we fire it up on the back porch and grab a few frosties. laying off isn't a permanent decision, or it might be. either way is fine, its all you. give yourself some space and youll figure out what you want to do. we don't have to marry a hobby for life - im different - yah i have a few lifelong hobbies but ive also had lots that have come and gone after my interest or curiosity are satisfied.

have a buddy over and beer it out over a few steaks.

don't lift the lid...

Hi Russ,

Can most certainly understand your choice, whatever you do choose. Too much of a good thing (g) can get old. I wonder if just doing some comps in the tent might help as a break, so to speak.

Bob

Last edited:
We are in a similar place
I will organize two cook offs, judge two or three
But probably only cook one or two at most this year

Russ, I understand completely where you're coming from. I just finished my 9th year doing competition BBQ and while I still enjoy it, it get's more difficult with every comp to rekindle that fire and give it my all. I don't know how old you are but I will be turning 60 in January and I'm sure that has something to do with it also. In my 9 years I have done the Royal Invitational twice and Open 4 times. I've even cooked "The Jack" once. If I had one comp I'd love to do again it would be The Jack, the whole atmosphere is amazing and probably is the best experience I've ever had in BBQ. I see myself competing one more year and then hanging it up, our team does around 10-12 comps a year and by the end of October, I don't even want to talk BBQ anymore. I know that if I do hang it up after next year I would still be welcome to go and hang out with my team mates and revisit all the friends I've made. Another thing for me, it just seems that competition BBQ has changed a lot in the past 3 years or so, seems like it's gotten way more serious than it use to be, not quite as much fun.

When I first started judging, I did so because I wanted to get a keener insight into competing. My goal was to eventually start cooking some competitions. However, after judging a few and making friends with some teams, I quickly decided that competitive cooking wasn't anything I ever wanted to do. It's simply too much of an investment for me. Besides, I like judging too much.

That said, I do enjoy helping out my friends at comps I'm not judging. When you're not in charge and it's not your money/gear/reputation on the line, it's a lot more fun. It's also nice to be able to lend a hand when you can.

I think a lot of it has to do with the money also. I mean it's no longer let's go cook some BBQ and see our friends, have a good time, and if we get a call great, if not, we still had a great time. Now with the money that's involved in some of these comps, and with so many people offering BBQ classes ranging from $500 - $1,000, it's almost gotten to the point where everyone is too serious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not there just for the party, I love winning and getting calls as much as the next guy, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems like winning is not only everything, it's the only thing. Maybe after our long winter break in Michigan I'll feel all refreshed. :)

This all started out as fun, but if the fun is gone, take a year off. Maybe teach a class or two, relax, do what you love and forget about the money.

I have considered running series of events with minimal entry fees and very small prize pools
The joy of these back yarders is contagious

Take a little time off from competing Russ. If it's not fun don't do it. Get refreshed with your home projects and before you know it you'll be looking at the contest schedule again.

Thom...

I have considered running series of events with minimal entry fees and very small prize pools
The joy of these back yarders is contagious

If you do, please keep me in mind. Absolutely love them. An excellent learning tool for all involved !

Ok, I took some time off and thought I might have recharged the batteries a little. Did a comp a few weeks ago and it's just not there anymore. I got to the point halfway through turn-ins where I just didn't give a hoot anymore. I think that hobby has run it's course. I've posted in the 'for sale' section a link to where I've posted my trailer for sale.

I started a 5 pound batch of bacon this last weekend and I have to say, I had more fun doing it. I really look forward to getting the smoker fired up this weekend and doing a long slow smoking session. I might even throw in a small ham just for good measure and I won't have to watch the clock or worry about a judge!

Russ

Man Russ, that's a beautifully designed trailer you put together. If i wasn't in the middle of closing on a house, i'd be doing my damndest to try to get the funds to get that from you.

Hey Russ, I have had plenty of hobbies I burn out on. I start them for the challenge, education and excitement and when that goes away, so do I. It sounds like you have found utopia in your backyard. Cherish the good memories of competition and wear out that new smokehouse.

All the best!

Back