Tacos al pastor

Nick_U

TVWBB Pro
Wanted to try tacos al pastor, because I really like them. I started with a 2 1/2lb pork shoulder and sliced it into 1/4inch thick pieces. Then I made a marinade that I got online, guallio chiles, achiote paste, pineapple juice, cumin, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic. All blended together and the poured over the pork and put in the fridge for two days.

photo_zps28cb41ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wanted to cook them somewhat like they do at the taco shops. So I stacked all the slices on top of each other and put skewers through them to hold it together.

photo_zpsb898755a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On the performer and cooking indirect heat.

photo_zpsd3514e2a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After and hour and a half ready to slice pieces off and crisp them a little in the CI
photo_zps5b80d1df.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Smelling good!
photo_zps9de2181b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Plated and ready to eat.
photo_zpsacd37ba3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Came out pretty well. needs some tweaking with the marinade and a little longer cook time but definitely will try it again.

Nice job Nick!
Some carnicerias steel the al pastor paste and or marinade it's good stuff.

Tony- I will have to check them out. There is a carniceria near my house. i go there all the time but I never thought about asking about the marinade. Thanks for the idea!

Tony- I will have to check them out. There is a carniceria near my house. i go there all the time but I never thought about asking about the marinade. Thanks for the idea!

I hope you get the marinade. It's easier and usually pretty authentic. The Hispanic customers will not put up with a crappy product...lol

Back