*RESTORED* Tackling my First Restore - Genesis 1000

Hmmmm, maybe mine was backward then? My actual thumb nut "wings" were on the outside, pointing in. It was super hard to get them off because of the manifold bar right above it. Slow-going for sure.

They are trying to say look on the inside of the cook box. Yes the wing nuts are kind of a pain but when you do get them off that entire bolt that the wing nut is on will come out........I thought your grill was already disassembled completely. To get my wing nuts off I used a large punch and a hammer to hit one side of the wing repeatedly until I got it to move. Those old ss wing nuts are tough!!!!

The "wing nuts" should be on the outside and yes the are hard to turn with the clearance they provide. But, the actual wings should be away from the cook box, not pointing in towards it.

wingnut.jpeg

Okay! Thanks to both of you! This is what came from those two holes on mine:
1594692715516.jpeg
They were facing into the box. Maybe someone replaced those? I didn’t have an6 wing nuts on the grill. And yes fully disassembled, I just thought the bolts I ordered would replace the “thumb screws” I removed, which they didn’t.

Actually, I have seen those on some of my grills before. I also seem to remember winding up twisting them off and then dealing with the bolt later.

Actually, I have seen those on some of my grills before. I also seem to remember winding up twisting them off and then dealing with the bolt later.
Ahhaha okay, good to know! They are pictured in the assembly instructions so I think they are original. And yea I’m with ya, I just cant seem to make the bolts I have work so I might try some new ones tomorrow.

That is what what was on my original Genesis 2. But they snapped off first time I tried to get them out. So I drilled them and installed 1/4" stainless carriage bolts and wing nuts outside

Stopped by the store and snagged some 1inch full thread bolts. Used some of the extra hex nuts and a locking washer like Bruce suggested.
Thanks for all the help! It’s a bummer to stray from the wing-nut look but no biggie! Cheers!

You could have still bought some regular wing nuts like I pictured above. They came on a lot of the Genesis grills as well. Hex nuts are just easier to deal with IMO.

You could have still bought some regular wing nuts like I pictured above. They came on a lot of the Genesis grills as well. Hex nuts are just easier to deal with IMO.
Would have, but the Home Depot was out of wing nuts in that size. It was almost comical. They had a drawer full of them and had loads of all sizes, but the one I needed was the only empty compartment! Ha!
Lots of people in Northern Virginia restoring grills ;)

Whatever you use, make sure it is all stainless steel.
Done! Y’all engrained that in my being at this point.
Change of pace: how necessary is the manifold bracket? Upon reassembly I realize mine didn’t have one. Seems like it just takes some of the weight off the bolts I just installed, but it seems pretty solid as is.

You might find that when pushing the knobs to turn them, they and not solid and may sag down enough that the knobs cannot go down fare enough to unlock. You can use a piece of wire or zip ties to hold it up.

Another tip. It also helps for removal the next time if you put anti-seize on the bolt threads.
Yea I was reading that! I don’t have any on hand but was wondering if I might use some of the left over manifold grease I got from the automotive store. It’s high heat but I just wonder if that’s a waste.

Back