*RESTORED* Tackling my First Restore - Genesis 1000

Hi AHymel! Thanks for sharing your experience! That is really important, IMO, whether something works or doesn't. We probably learn more from our failures than our successes. Anyway, there was a post recently that a vendor was looking into reproducing these, so hopefully someday...it seems to me that these (or something similar in a different grill) were made out of stamped aluminum at one time. I may be thinking about one of my off-brand gas grills from years ago...but I don't know why a disposable liner such as the type that we use in our grease pans couldn't be made as well.

Maybe after the economy gets going again some enterprising person will take this on...
That would be genius. The disposable liner option seems very doable! I think it’s what many of us do with foil anyway ;) cheers,

Made some progress last night! After assembly I found that the top and panel could use some more cleaning, so I’ll have to do that too.

I’m thinking next year for the RCPlaneBuyer grates, and the originals are honestly in great shape after a serious cleaning and I love the idea of using original where possible.

Also, my favorite part so far was reassembling the lid. I can’t believe how much I like the stainless bolts that really pop! I’ve seen them (Socket flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, 1/4"-20 x 5/8") recommended a few times on this forum, so a big thanks to whoever used them first! They rock!

I looks like you have 2 layers of heat tents / shields / flavorizers. I have never seen that before. Is that something you came up with or what? Thanks Joe

He has a Genesis 1000, they had two layers of Flavorizer bars. The earlier version of Genesis grills (Genesis 1-5) did as well. There are 5 across the bottom and 8 across the top. The cook boxes are deeper than the newer Silver B/C grills with the 5 bars. The deeper box and two layers of flavorizer bars aids in distributing heat better and provides more room if you remove the top row of bars for things like rotisserie of a big item and having a drip pan under it.

Almost all Genesis grills from the mid 80's until 1999 had the two layers of bars. That is when the Silver/Gold B/C grills were introduced in 2000.

So, it is better with the 13 bars vs the newer grills with 5 bars, why would Weber stick with 5 bars???? Cost.

He has a Genesis 1000, they had two layers of Flavorizer bars. The earlier version of Genesis grills (Genesis 1-5) did as well. There are 5 across the bottom and 8 across the top. The cook boxes are deeper than the newer Silver B/C grills with the 5 bars. The deeper box and two layers of flavorizer bars aids in distributing heat better and provides more room if you remove the top row of bars for things like rotisserie of a big item and having a drip pan under it.

Almost all Genesis grills from the mid 80's until 1999 had the two layers of bars. That is when the Silver/Gold B/C grills were introduced in 2000.

So, it is better with the 13 bars vs the newer grills with 5 bars, why would Weber stick with 5 bars???? Cost.
Thanks I did not know that. Must be pricey to replace all those! From 88 - 2008 I had a Sunbeam grill I got for a wedding present from my sister. It had a cast aluminum firebox and lid and used lava rocks. That baby lasted 20 years with only a new igniter and burner replaced. Gave it away when I found my first Weber Silver put at the curb by a neighbor. I now have 2 Silvers and a Q300 that I am rehabbing to flip, and a Spirit E310 that I am going to make a Chicken Pollo Rico on tonight.

Yes, they do cost more to replace. Not only is that a lot more material to make them, but the aftermarket availability is starting to dry up as well. But, not only did weber go with the 5 bars to save money on the bars themselves, but the deeper 13 bar fire box is significantly bigger and uses that much more aluminum to construct. So, they save on the fire box and the flavorizer bars and I guess they were OK with the trade off in performance since they have stuck with the one layer.

Thanks I did not know that. Must be pricey to replace all those! From 88 - 2008 I had a Sunbeam grill I got for a wedding present from my sister. It had a cast aluminum firebox and lid and used lava rocks. That baby lasted 20 years with only a new igniter and burner replaced. Gave it away when I found my first Weber Silver put at the curb by a neighbor. I now have 2 Silvers and a Q300 that I am rehabbing to flip, and a Spirit E310 that I am going to make a Chicken Pollo Rico on tonight.

Bruce offers the best history lessons around - he knows his stuff!

Yes, pricey to replace, which was why I, in the end, opted for RCPlanebuyer grates and bars. Hoping they last a lifetime!

Back