Summit- Is this worth the trouble

JonathonROKC

Last time I posted you guys gave great info on what to look for. The green genesis I was looking at sold before I even looked at it. Found another potential candidate but wanted the opinion of the group: He says it has been converted to NG but can be converted back to propane. How hard is this and is this worth it on this Summit grill? Not the greatest pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6586.png
    IMG_6586.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6587.png
    IMG_6587.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6589.png
    IMG_6589.png
    537.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6588.png
    IMG_6588.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 18
First off unless someone REALLY understands gas and it's properties there is no direct "conversion" to different fuel on any Weber grill. So the fact someone before you "converted" it then says "of it can be put back" right there is a HUGE red flag.
Second, while the new cook boxes may be available for these 3rd gen Summits understand they can be and usually are huge $$$$ pits. Cook boxes rot out on them, IIRC on these later models the warranty was shortened from 25 years to 10, and they're not covered for anything other than first owner

After reading a few of the posts when I searched Summit they do sound like a huge money pit. And yea the conversion was a red flag for sure. So glad this forum is available, without it all I see is a “$1600+ grill” for $200. Thanks for the advice!!

That being said, I have an exact duplicate of that grill in my driveway part way through a rehab. LOL.
But, I agree, unless you really know what you are doing, it is best to stay away from these grills. Not that I am an authority on Summit grills, but I have done enough other Weber gas grills to feel good about going down that rabbit hole provided a few key items on the grill check out. Number one being the cook box. Then the flavorizer bars. Then the inside of the cabinet. The gas conversion situation just adds to the question marks.

FYI, that grill is $2700 new if it has the IR burner in the lid.

That being said, I have an exact duplicate of that grill in my driveway part way through a rehab. LOL.
But, I agree, unless you really know what you are doing, it is best to stay away from these grills. Not that I am an authority on Summit grills, but I have done enough other Weber gas grills to feel good about going down that rabbit hole provided a few key items on the grill check out. Number one being the cook box. Then the flavorizer bars. Then the inside of the cabinet. The gas conversion situation just adds to the question marks.

FYI, that grill is $2700 new if it has the IR burner in the lid.
That is a plain jane 4 burner. No IR burner

🤦🏻‍♂️Even after all of the warnings on the Summit line, someone in my neighborhood was selling one for $100. Includes cover and propane tank. Went and looked at it, has new stainless grates and newer stainless flavor bars so I bought it. Got it home and started the tear down…. The flavor bar brackets are rusted out and there is a couple of holes in the cookbox! The frame is in really good shape with very little rust. I registered the grill and sent in a claim for the cookbox and it will be covered! But not before they scared me saying it was out of stock, it shipped today. Went to grillparts.com and purchased the new brackets and burners. Hoping this will be all I have to purchase for now. Any other advice for the rehab on this potential money pit?! If nothing else I got a cover and propane tank out of the deal!!

Attachments

• IMG_6615.jpeg
    IMG_6615.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6616.jpeg
    IMG_6616.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6620.jpeg
    IMG_6620.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Your igniter wires on the fuel rail are likely 100% burned out too.

Check the drip tray for warping and fire damage.

The upper lid liner is also likely warped form heating and cooling over the years.

The cotter pins that connect the hood to the base are also likely toast and greasy.

Good luck on your rebuild.

Hopefully it will be ok now. I don't know if it's an optical illusion or not, but it looks like the control panel where the knobs are is a little smashed in. If it is, I would also make sure all the valves still operate smoothly.

Back