Summit E-670 Running Hot

BradH

TVWBB Member
I bought a Summit E-670 about three months ago and I still have not figured out how to get a low temperature out of it to grill something longer than a few minutes. No matter where I put the knobs (low, med, or high) the grill gets up to about 700 degrees in just over 5 minutes. I figured maybe that was just the air temperature by the thermometer so I bought a couple of thermometers made to sit on the grates. Both of them maxed out at 600* and died from the heat. The only way I can find to sort-of tame the heat is to cook with the cover open, but that kind of defeats the purpose and makes it very hard to cook whole chickens or thick items. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal or do I have an issue?

Thanks!

Some questions, but I think I know what is wrong. I will lay odds you're running it on LP/Propane. If so I'll bet it was originally set up for nat gas and perhaps you got it from someone who said all you have to do is change the hose? Am I far off base?

Even with a single burner on the lowest setting, it's still hitting 700? On my Genesis EP 330, single burner turned on, knob at the lowest setting = about 350 on the hood thermometer. ???

Last edited:
It may just be the nature of a Summit but LMichaels might be right. My Summit 420 which has always been LP likes to cook hot on direct heat. It takes some getting used to because even on its lowest setting it is still cranking out some pretty good heat. I love the higher heat, but you really need to adjust your times and cooking style accordingly. Some people would say that is a good problem to have, but it can be a challenge if you are making something that requires a little less heat that searing and finishing indirect is not desired. For that reason, I like to use a grill pan like this one over the burners for making stuff like potatoes and other vegetables.

Thanks for answers!
LMichaels - I bought the grill new from Amazon and ordered the NG version. It came with the 15 foot hose and all the warnings that stated it needs NG, not LP.
Andy - Have not tried single burner, but it does with 3 burners on low (one side or every other one). The problem here is that single burner would not give me direct heat.
Don - That's what I was afraid of. I love having the room on the Summit, but I was hoping for more temperature zones so I could have a high, medium, and a low section of the grill to cook many different things at the same time. It also drives me crazy that I have to stand to the side to open the thing or my eye lashes melt (literally...done it twice, wife thinks it is hilarious). Not sure I understand the grill pan thing. I have a couple of them. I find it allows me to take off a bunch of food fast, like slices of squash or mussels, but if you are using it for something other than speedy food removal from a hot grill, could you explain your use a bit more?

If the grill is proper version (NG) and you have NG at proper pressure in your home (4.5" to 7" WC pressure) and the grill is behaving like that something is REALLY wrong. Right now from your description there is no control. So first I would have a technician look at the gas line and check for proper pressure, if that is right than call Weber and have them look at it and don't use it until all this is done because from your description this is an unsafe condition. A Summit (heck ANY GOOD grill) should have a decent range of temp control without having to resort to using one burner or such.

Well, since LMichael brings up that it may be a safety issue, I will be getting it checked...by someone other than the contractor that installed the line. So for now I go back to charcoal for Labor Day weekend, as I look at my expensive paperweight. Thanks for the help!

Back