Summer of Pizza?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I think I mentioned that my pizzas I've done recently in the new GMG Pizza Oven on my pellet grill were test runs for when we had guests in town? :)

A little back story....... The family visiting us are like an extension of our own family. My wife grew up with her friend, and they stayed incredibly close even through college years, moves, and settling down with husbands in different states. My wife is the godmother to their only child, and our daughters think of her as a sister, too. Unfortunately, their daughter was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer in October, and as of about six weeks ago, they have known that it will be terminal. When they started to talk about what memories she wanted to make, our friends' daughter said she wanted to go to CA to visit us. So, through Make-A-Wish, they were able to get that put together, and we even got to spend a couple of nights with them by the coast south of Santa Cruz for some beach memories, too.

So.....yesterday was our young friend's 15th birthday, and she had requested a few weeks ago that we have a pizza party (you see where this is going?) The party, of course, wasn't about the pizza, but I wanted to make sure that it was perfect for her as a piece of the whole day (hence the practice runs.) Well, the practice runs proved their worth, as we had smooth sailing for 6 pies.

Made the dough on Tuesday morning:

1651758134934.jpeg

After kneading and some room temp rising, that got balled up into six, 280g balls, and into the fridge until the next day. On pizza day, the dough came out of the fridge about 3 hours before cook time:

1651758197961.jpeg

We had discussed favorite pizza toppings with everyone and decided on 2 each of pepp/mushroom (birthday girl's favorite), shrimp/pesto, sausage/jalapeno. Got the pizza station set up:

1651758262979.jpeg

......and, no action shots as things go fast, and need to keep the door closed for heat retention. Pies cooked for four minutes each (turned every minute), and with my pit set to 400°F, the stone was running @ 710°F in the front and 750°F in the back. Everything turned out great, birthday girl was happy, and we made some memories! :)

Pepp/mush:

1651758421651.jpeg

Shrimp/pesto:

1651758442799.jpeg

Sausage/jalapeno (with honey drizzle after cooking):

1651758466960.jpeg

Our friends head home today, and we will miss them. We have plans to head to their place for a visit soon, and are hoping they can make it down here again in the summer. Hug someone you love today, and maybe call someone you love, but haven't talked to in a while.

Rich

I’ll take a slice of each please! Super nice backyard setup you have there. Is that a ping pong table in the back?!?!

Rich,
This moved me to tears. My oldest is 15 (turning 16 is weeks) and my youngest is turning 13 on Sunday. The thought of even having to think about how I would live without either one of them is almost to much for me to handle. Right now we are planning my daughter's Sunday B-day dinner. Getting to prep food for the ones I love is one of the ways I try to show them how much I love them. Let me offer you a piece of myself through what I love. I also think them letting me do this thing I love (to cook) for them is a way they show me there love for me. Getting to prepare her 15th birthday meal is an honor and you approached it with the seriousness and love it required. Rich the pies look great. True friendship is seen through our actions. Lets hope for so much joy to fill her days for way longer than any doctor could even image.

Last edited:
I’ll take a slice of each please! Super nice backyard setup you have there. Is that a ping pong table in the back?!?!
Thanks, Wil. This is our favorite time of year in the backyard, and, yes, that's a ping pong table back there. :)

R

Rich,
This moved me to tears. My oldest is 15 (turning 16 is weeks) and my youngest is turning 13 on Sunday. The thought of even having to think about how I would live without either one of them is almost to much for me to handle. Right now we are planning my daughter's Sunday B-day dinner. Getting to prep food for the ones I love is one of the ways I try to show them how much I love them. Let me offer you a piece of myself through what I love. I also think them letting me do this thing I love (to cook) for them is a way they show me there love for me. Getting to prepare her 15th birthday meal is an honor and you approached it with the seriousness and love it required. Rich the pies look great. True friendship is seen through our actions. Lets hope for so much jot to fill her days for way longer than any doctor could even image.
It is an unimaginable and heartbreaking situation for sure, Michael, but we were honored to be able to host our friends and spend some very quality time together. It was my honor and pleasure to fix a birthday meal.

R

So sorry to hear about the young Ladys situation but so happy to see you were able to have some time with her and her family. That's a wonderful thing you did Rich.

Sad and amazing story all in one.
Your a good man!
Michael looks like you’ll have 2 to celebrate on Sunday. Mother’s day and a birthday, that’s exciting.

Last edited:

Back