Sulking in Defeat, finding solace in WSM

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
Started off Saturday busting my butt to get my yard work done in time to watch the Va Tech game against East Carolina University. After the first quarter, I was shell shocked as my Hokies go down 21-0! Hokies tie it up at end of 4th quarter only to give up a touchdown in the waning seconds of the game. Not good. I was sulking around the house contemplating whether or not I should ever watch football again. Had some wings thawing and decided the WSM would provide the necessary solace and comfort.

First things first: pour a bourbon -

Second: Fire up the WSM -

My wife always tells me to write stuff down, but I refuse. Threw some marinade together along with some spices on onto the WSM goes the wings:

As you can see I had a couple of spuds on the WSM 30 minutes prior to the wings.

Just about done. Used Stubbs Barbeque sauce with melted butter mix:

Wings were fantastic. Family said it was another 'best ever' (of course I didn't write down my marinade/spice mix!). BTW: I'm loving the WSM as a 'grill'. The wings were done with no water pan and vents wide open. The distance from the heat makes for tasty Q in the amount of time you would grill. Anyone else use the WSM in this fashion?

Wings did well to right my spirits (as well as the bourbon). Next week we play Ga Tech. Maybe the 'upset' loss will be the last of the season.

Sunday I 'grilled' on the WSM again: Lamb Rack and Shrimp. No other pics of this cook. Lamb was exceptional.

thanks for reading.

WSM Q is excellent therapy :). I am only using the water pan for big slow long cooks. Otherwise I either leave it out completely or I place a small aluminum pan on the lower grate. That works really well too.

It's funny how quickly we rebound Jim. I was going through the same type of thing after the Dodgers kicked 2 out of 3 from the Giants. Oh well, as you say, we can always go out to the grills to get right again. Great looking cook. Like that rack of lamb also.

Jim: I used to not right stuff down. Not being able to re-create some stellar meals almost broke me of that habit - now I write stuff down about half the time :) Great lookin' cook to help ease the sting.

Back