Storing the rotisserie skewer

Phil-Greybeard

I've had my Summit 670 for just over eight years, and it wasn't until I replaced the third cover that I realized that the biggest risk to the cover is the skewer. So I've been looking for a solution. One idea was a padded tip to cover the sharp point. I thought of using a wine cork, but that will require removing it each time I use the grill for anything.

I've been stuffing it diagonally underneath, which barely works and is kind of a pain.

Today when I was replacing the front flavorizer bracket I had an idea and looked. There's a round hole about an inch in diameter on the right side under the table. No corresponding hole on the left, but I stuck the skewer through the round hold and wedged it into one of the vent holes on the left, so that'll work for now.

What I'm visualizing is a bracket that would clip into one of those holes and support either just the left-hand end of the skewer, or perhaps a piece of PVC pipe. Then it would be easy to just slide the skewer into that and voila, it's stored safely.

Anyone else dealt with this? I may drop by the hardware store and see what I can find that might work.

This seems like the kind of accessory that Weber could sell for $20 (OK, it's Weber, so probably more like $45) and folks would go for it. Just me?

I've had my Summit 670 for just over eight years, and it wasn't until I replaced the third cover that I realized that the biggest risk to the cover is the skewer. So I've been looking for a solution. One idea was a padded tip to cover the sharp point. I thought of using a wine cork, but that will require removing it each time I use the grill for anything.

I've been stuffing it diagonally underneath, which barely works and is kind of a pain.

Today when I was replacing the front flavorizer bracket I had an idea and looked. There's a round hole about an inch in diameter on the right side under the table. No corresponding hole on the left, but I stuck the skewer through the round hold and wedged it into one of the vent holes on the left, so that'll work for now.

What I'm visualizing is a bracket that would clip into one of those holes and support either just the left-hand end of the skewer, or perhaps a piece of PVC pipe. Then it would be easy to just slide the skewer into that and voila, it's stored safely.

Anyone else dealt with this? I may drop by the hardware store and see what I can find that might work.

This seems like the kind of accessory that Weber could sell for $20 (OK, it's Weber, so probably more like $45) and folks would go for it. Just me?
That's the hole used in the S670 for the rod. The rod sits at an angle inside the lower storage cart.

Last edited:
I hang mine over the back corner of the sink, wash it rinse it and hang to dry, ready for the next project. Actually, I’m finding that I really enjoy rotisserie cooks, less fuss work than a lot of things. Did a brace of chicken last week and will dothe recipe thatWeber posted this week for a rosemary pork loin…stay tuned!

That's the hole used in the S670 for the rod. The rod sits at an angle inside the lower storage cart.
So you're saying that's what the hole is for? Well golly gee whiz, who knew! (OK, you did.) I don't recall getting a manual when I bought the beast, though I expect I did. I'm a geek, tend to read such things, but missed it if I got one! All these years...

I hang mine over the back corner of the sink, wash it rinse it and hang to dry, ready for the next project. Actually, I’m finding that I really enjoy rotisserie cooks, less fuss work than a lot of things. Did a brace of chicken last week and will dothe recipe thatWeber posted this week for a rosemary pork loin…stay tuned!
Will be interested to hear how pork does. Not the grill's fault, but most modern pork is SO lean that I'd expect it to wind up dry. Hope not!

I can't decide whether I feel smarter for 'discovering' the hole and thinking to use it or dumber for not having ever figured it out before/read the doc!
You're a member here; you're smart :)

And it was not my intention to share the manual screenshot to belittle anyone. More often than not, I order items and await delivery, during which time I daydream and read manuals.

Will be interested to hear how pork does. Not the grill's fault, but most modern pork is SO lean that I'd expect it to wind up dry. Hope not!
Not my first rotio, I’ve done lots, and none have been dry, this is a new recipe so, I’ll try not to ruin it. Typically, I don’t go much longer than 45 minutes. Will report when accomplished.
I’ll go stand in my corner now, the rotio was a bad “twist” on rodeo. Hanging head in shame! Ooh, the follow up was even worse!

Not my first rotio, I’ve done lots, and none have been dry, this is a new recipe so, I’ll try not to ruin it. Typically, I don’t go much longer than 45 minutes. Will report when accomplished.
I’ll go stand in my corner now, the rotio was a bad “twist” on rodeo. Hanging head in shame! Ooh, the follow up was even worse!
We out west need to remember you guys are a couple of hours beers ahead of us.

I keep mine in the boxes they came in, stored in our bedroom closet. The motors are on a shelf right above them, also in the original boxes. After losing a roto motor to blowing dust, I figured out they shouldn't be stored outside if you live in the desert.

You're a member here; you're smart :)

And it was not my intention to share the manual screenshot to belittle anyone. More often than not, I order items and await delivery, during which time I daydream and read manuals.
Fear not, I didn't take it as belittling in the slightest--I was glad to see it! Just laughing at myself, honest.

I'm enjoying this forum a LOT more than some other Weber forum where I posted a few months ago asking about any ideas for a skewer tip cover, trying to solve the same problem (ruined cover). This was before I thought of trying to store it in the cart. Folks there were derisive of the idea, and none of them even suggested the in-cart storage.

I've been associated with online fora of one sort or another since about 1983, and some are good places, some are not. The bad ones can sometimes be useful anyway, but they're full of nasty folks. This seems to be one of the good ones!

Well I’ll be dipped. Never knew that myself! Thank ya!
When I picked up the old 450 I asked about the rod and they had no clue what it was or where it went. It wasn't till I got it home that I found it in the same position as I the instructions above and I'm kicking myself for not taking the hooks I believed were not part of the grill. 😢. I did notice it could have been the cause of all the rust to the missing bottom panel though.

Back