Storing sauces in the fridge ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Is it necessary to keep opened bottles of sauce in the fridge ? If there's not anything on the outside of the bottle that says " keep refrigerated after opening " , I'd rather not keep them in the fridge, but Mrs Dollar disagrees. I don't like adding cold sauce to my warm meats.

I so agree. I also like to take the butter out early. Even when something calls for a squeeze of lemon/lime at the last minute, that gets warmed up. If forgotten, a few seconds in the microwave does the trick.

From what I understand, you can store opened BBQ sauce out of the fridge for around a month, refrigerated, 6 to 9 months.

I keep mine in the fridge. Be sure to read the bottle, some more organic sauces say to refrigerate after opening.

Yeah, I would let the label be your guide. But I think flavors stay fresher when refrigerated. I keep BBQ sauces, ketchup, and mustard in the fridge even though they technically don't need to be there.

I agree with Chris. If it gets opened, it gets refrigerated. As I said above, take things out early, or use your microwave.

With the exception of my homemade Carolina vinegar sauce, (and ketchup), everything else gets refrigerated.

With commercial sauces, I refrigerate as they're easily warmed in the microwave.

We do both with butter. Keep some in the fridge, for recipes & cooking and we use one of those those Butter Bell crocks for softened butter.

Back