Stoker Case

A. Vale

TVWBB Fan
When I setup the Stoker to be used with my smoker and Amir's logging application, I need to bring out the Stoker, my wireless ethernet adapter, a power strip, an extension cord, the blower and various temperature probes. When I do overnight smokes I'm always paranoid about dew settling on the Stoker so I put the Stoker in a plastic bag.

Seeing as I setup, monitor and control my Stoker via Amir's logging app, I've been thinking about building a box where my wireless ethernet adapter, the Stoker and the power strip would permanently reside. Has anyone done this yet? Care to show pictures if you have?

Why don't you just go down the local wally world and get a clear plastic box large enough to hold all that stuff. Cut a couple of holes for the cables and you're done. Probably won't look that bad either.

I use a styrofoam cooler. My unit still gets flaky at temps below freezing and the styrofoam cooler with the stoker, bridge, power strip and a couple of towels stay warm and dry.

As an alternative, you can either buy or make your own probe extension cable. I made my own with 5 jacks on it, so I leave my Stoker box inside. I use a small box to hold the 5 probes if the weather is expected to be bad.

Todd, I'm a new Stoker owner and have a question, what is a "probe extension cable?" Also, if the weather is bad how do you protect the fan?

Larry,

The probe extension cable is just that, a cord that goes inbetween the end of one of the temperature or blower connectors and the stoker connectors. People use this to extend the length of cord they have so they can keep the stoker inside the house in bad weather (Rock's website has one available under accessories, or you can make your own).

To protect the blower I usually put a small plastic bucket over it to act as a tent. One thing that you should be aware of is that the Stoker uses 1-wire technology. What that means is there is a small circuit board and a chip inside the connector attached to each blower and temperature probe. I don't believe it is a good idea to expose the connectors to rain/snow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe thomas:
I use a styrofoam cooler. My unit still gets flaky at temps below freezing and the styrofoam cooler with the stoker, bridge, power strip and a couple of towels stay warm and dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

What do you mean by 'flaky'? On my first cook it was mid-20's and I had frequent 'connection lost' alarms. sometimes the stoker webpage would not output properly as well. I thought it might be the cold temps, but thought it could also be my 100' homemade ethernet cable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave M.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe thomas:
I use a styrofoam cooler. My unit still gets flaky at temps below freezing and the styrofoam cooler with the stoker, bridge, power strip and a couple of towels stay warm and dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

What do you mean by 'flaky'? On my first cook it was mid-20's and I had frequent 'connection lost' alarms. sometimes the stoker webpage would not output properly as well. I thought it might be the cold temps, but thought it could also be my 100' homemade ethernet cable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone better informed than myself may be able to give more detail but my understanding is that the Stoker somehow uses the circuitry in the 3.5 mm jack housing to measure probe temperature. At temps below freezing something goes awry and the stoker gives erroneous temperature readings. Note all of this was supposedly fixed with a new firmware release last year but I still seem to have minor issues at temps below freezing. On warmer days I use an extension cable and keep the Stoker inside but on cold days I throw everything into the cooler so that the heat from the electronics help keep my jacks warm.

Larry,
I just use aluminum foil to protect the fan. I take a sheet of it and tuck it under the top side of the fan "bowl" before I finish tightening it up. Makes for a simple shroud, and won't be bothered by the head of the charcoal bowl. I made my own extension cable by using some Belden communication wire I had available, then stereo 1/4" jacks I purchased at Radio Shack. You could use standard headphone extension cable and 1-for-2 splitters instead. Just make sure they are stereo and not mono.

So it looks like we're going to have rain again this weekend, go figure we're dry for something like 25 weeks in a row, I get my stoker and it's rained the last two weekends. I did get some ribs done last weekend prior to the rain coming though. Anyway, I think I'm going to pick-up a clear tote from Wal-mart, cutting a hole on one side to thread the plug side of a power strip through, and on the other side a smaller hole to thread my probe wires through. I'll then setup my Stoker and wireless bridge inside my tote. Over the Stoker blower I'll use some HD tinfoil and fashion a cover around her. My WSM will be on my patio that which is 1/2 covered, however it's going to be breezy and I don't want to take any chances. Any suggestions on this setup? Thanks in advance

My solution is pretty simple. I have the stainless steal table that I bought from the company which made my smoker. The smoker sits in a hole on the left, and the right hand side is the SS surface. So I simply leave my stoker under the solid surface above. That protects it from rain and since it is close to the smoker, it stays warmer than ambiant temps. So far, so good
icon_smile.gif

Back