Stocking up on free/cheap early summer Genesis

Sam Ruby

Hey all,

I partially restored a 2005 Weber Performer Deluxe a few years ago (after wanting one for quite some time). Since then I have gotten into snake method smoking, and picked up a free offset smoker.

I love smoking and charcoal, but lately I have been missing the convenience of propane and propane accessories. If I just want a couple hotdogs I don't want to light up some coals and wait... So I've been scouring FB Marketplace for free/cheap Weber grills. I wanted something mid-2000s to restore.

I have a couple of great candidates right now: A Genesis Gold B (Still haven't deduced the year), and a Genesis Silver. I've got one of them completely disassembled and have a bunch of new parts to add. Today I removed some rust from the Genny Gold, hit the box with some oven cleaner, and gave it a hit with the pressure washer and foam cannon.

Tomorrow I will be getting that rusty hinge pin unstuck and doing some more cleaning/prep. My goal is to have it ready for some chicken by this weekend.

The other Silver was in much worse shape, and I think I will probably end up giving it a good cleaning out and handing it over to one of our tenants. She's been grilling on a knockoff/Walmart Smokey Joe and it looks like a pain in the ***.

Welcome, Sam, sounds like you have some good projects going! Most of our rehabbers hang out in the "Gas Grills" forum, so if you have questions, or just want to share pics of progress/finished grills, that's the place!

Rich

Glad to have you Sam, don't forget we love pictures of what your working on. Somebody might even know what year your grill is, although a good guess would be 2000 or 2001

Glad to have you Sam, don't forget we love pictures of what your working on. Somebody might even know what year your grill is, although a good guess would be 2000 or 2001
Thanks, Rich, I spent the past hour or so lurking the sticky threads and some other resto projects for ideas. I think I'm going to have to go on a special operation to rescue my Dewalt angle grinder that my uncle has held captive in his basement for a few years, or just buy a cheapo at Harbor Freight...

And Steve, I'll take some pictures of the box, lid, and frame tomorrow when I make my resto thread. Unfortunately I only have the last 4 digits of my serial number, and the model number seems to be completely gone from the label. But as you said, I'm sure someone can figure out the year just by some of the details.

Now that I'm looking at some of the resto threads, I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied by rushing this project for the weekend. If I can't get a wire cup and angle grinder tomorrow, I'll probably spend the day working on the manifold.

Welcome Sam!

I'm still pretty new rehabbing the old gennies. Tons of great info here. Glad you joined.

Another thread worth following is this thread.

Thread 'I will just leave this here' https://tvwbb.com/threads/i-will-just-leave-this-here.75250/

Its just a random daily dose of this and that with gems of great info sprinkled in.

Definitely post pics. The group here has a keen eye for things.

Cheers

Thanks, Dan. That's a great thread.

It's too dark for pics right now, and I'm in my skivvies in bed (TMI lmao), but here is a snap from my driveway right now.

I don't know what I'll feel like working on first tomorrow, but I will be posting a thread in the gasser section tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-011508_Blink.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-011508_Blink.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, Dan. That's a great thread.

It's too dark for pics right now, and I'm in my skivvies in bed (TMI lmao), but here is a snap from my driveway right now.

I don't know what I'll feel like working on first tomorrow, but I will be posting a thread in the gasser section tomorrow.
I can tell by that picture the oldest your grill could be is a 2004.

Hey all,

I partially restored a 2005 Weber Performer Deluxe a few years ago (after wanting one for quite some time). Since then I have gotten into snake method smoking, and picked up a free offset smoker.

I love smoking and charcoal, but lately I have been missing the convenience of propane and propane accessories. If I just want a couple hotdogs I don't want to light up some coals and wait... So I've been scouring FB Marketplace for free/cheap Weber grills. I wanted something mid-2000s to restore.

I have a couple of great candidates right now: A Genesis Gold B (Still haven't deduced the year), and a Genesis Silver. I've got one of them completely disassembled and have a bunch of new parts to add. Today I removed some rust from the Genny Gold, hit the box with some oven cleaner, and gave it a hit with the pressure washer and foam cannon.

Tomorrow I will be getting that rusty hinge pin unstuck and doing some more cleaning/prep. My goal is to have it ready for some chicken by this weekend.

The other Silver was in much worse shape, and I think I will probably end up giving it a good cleaning out and handing it over to one of our tenants. She's been grilling on a knockoff/Walmart Smokey Joe and it looks like a pain in the ***.
I have a Genesis Gold B and a newer Genesis. I like them both, but if its just a small meal the Q1200 works great!

Back