"Steaks" on the grill

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I bought a new toy along with a whole beef tenderloin from Costco today.

After trimming the fat, silver skin, and other tough unsavory bits off, and cutting a couples nice roasts and several nice steaks that I vacuum sealed, I had some kinda straggly long pieces of meat left -- still good stuff -- but I wouldn't consider a steak. So, I coiled it in a circle and wrapped a piece of bacon around it. That's tonight's supper. I marinated the "steaks" in my home made Italian dressing for about an hour (recipe follows) and cooked them over a Royal Oak Lump fire.

I did not apply any other seasoning so as I turned the "steaks" I basted them with a TBS of steak sauce mixed with a tsp of water.

The "steaks" were very simply served with pat of herb butter, loaded mashed potatoes and a baguette. (The camera battery died so I took this one with the iPhone.) (Who knew what the red light was for?)

Cheers!

Italian Dressing Mix

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

I use one of those pre mix bottles found at the grocery store and fill it with vinegar, water, and oil to the lines on the bottle along with 2 tablespoons of the dry mix. I like to add some minced garlic (about two cloves) in as well and shake it all up.

Last edited:
We have the same FoodSaver and really like it. Great looking steaks and great beer. Shiner Bock is one of my regular go to's.

Dwain, you will really appreciate the Food Saver. I use it for many things but it's outstanding for preserving the flavor of brisket and PP. I will often season a piece of meat and seal it up, put it in the fridge for 2-3 days and cook it fresh. They are so handy you will wonder how you survived without it. :)

Thanks Dwain.
I want to buy a new one and Maribel said no until the one I have breaks.:(

I was running a hand held version that went kaput so Maribel and I are on the same page.

Dwain, you will really appreciate the Food Saver. I use it for many things but it's outstanding for preserving the flavor of brisket and PP. I will often season a piece of meat and seal it up, put it in the fridge for 2-3 days and cook it fresh. They are so handy you will wonder how you survived without it. :)

Thx Gary. I went thru and re sealed the packages I had done with the hand held and noticed a remarkable difference. I plan to use it a lot.

I like the creativity with the "spare parts." After doing some research on what to do with the chain, I ended up using it to make beef stroganoff and liked the results. I'll have to try the rolled steaks too.

I, too, am one of those who recently got a Foodsaver 3800 from Costco. My wife was quite reluctant, but after using it a couple of times, I better be careful or she'll package me for preservation;). She really likes it and man, does it work nice for pulled pork, left over ribs, etc. Life just got better, I believe...

Dale53

I need a vacuum sealer. Besides preserving food I'd like to cook some steaks sous vide and searing over coals at the end.

I have had these sealers before, not very happy with any of them. Good thing about Costco is the lifetime return policy.

Now that you have tried the Foodsaver on a whole tenderloin, you can save on steaks by cutting
whole ribeye, or sirloin or whatever cuts you like. Just the way that you like them. Enjoy!

I have had these sealers before, not very happy with any of them. Good thing about Costco is the lifetime return policy.

I hope I don't have to use the lifetime warranty.

Now that you have tried the Foodsaver on a whole tenderloin, you can save on steaks by cutting
whole ribeye, or sirloin or whatever cuts you like. Just the way that you like them. Enjoy!

That's definitely the plan!

Dwain, you have to be careful when you are removing air during a marinade. I put a piece of rolled up paper towel in the cavity and before the liquid starts to come up I'm hitting the seal button. Other than that mine is about 15 years old and I had to change the gasket a couple of years ago. Never a problem. I re-use the bags 3-4 times, Make long bags for ribs, seal up peanuts, coffee beans and all kinds of fresh and cooked meat. The bags are great for boiling.

Great idea for those"steaks" Dwain they look great. What did you do to keep them together during the cook?

I used a bacon wrap and a toothpick.

Dwain, you have to be careful when you are removing air during a marinade. I put a piece of rolled up paper towel in the cavity and before the liquid starts to come up I'm hitting the seal button. Other than that mine is about 15 years old and I had to change the gasket a couple of years ago. Never a problem. I re-use the bags 3-4 times, Make long bags for ribs, seal up peanuts, coffee beans and all kinds of fresh and cooked meat. The bags are great for boiling.

Thanks Gary.

Back