Starting my lonnng awaited 91 Genesis restoration.

Kevin in MA

Well, the wheels are finally turning! I dug thru some old photos in my icloud this morning to grab a few pics before everything went in boxes.

I found this lil gem up in Concord NH a few years back. It was listed on Craigslist for quite a while. After weeks of scrolling by the listing, something in the back of my head told me to go get it. I drove just over an hour north for it but it was well worth the trip ... as I mentioned in my first post here, I have a little story behind all this when the restoration is finished.

So far I cleaned up the lower frame. Pretty amazing after all these years to see the original paint in great shape like it is. The top frame will need some cleanup and new paint due to the fire box heat and I had some bolts to drill out (par for the course) but overall things look pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_6314.JPEG
    IMG_6314.JPEG
    289 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6367.JPEG
    IMG_6367.JPEG
    275.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6366.JPEG
    IMG_6366.JPEG
    336.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6372.JPEG
    IMG_6372.JPEG
    277.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6375.JPEG
    IMG_6375.JPEG
    336.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6384.JPEG
    IMG_6384.JPEG
    160.6 KB · Views: 79
Well, it looks pretty solid, have a good time on the restoration, I’d love to find one, but, around here pretty much anything that’s out there is “not in the best condition”.

Nice to see another classic Weber gem spared from the landfill and looking forward to a new lease on life! Best wishes as you proceed. We all enjoy pictures of your progress, and we will do our best to be of any help that we can.

Have a Genesis 2 and that was a great grill to restore. Your 3 looks to be in great shape especially the wood and zbars that are holding them in.

Be sure to check out the videos and articles about s/s hardware replacements, left crossbar replacement, and removing the screws holding the bottom tray.

I think that is the Crimson red or whatever it is called. Maybe brick red, I don't remember, but that is such an awesome color. Right up there with the Blue, but even harder to find.

Managed to get started on the side burner assembly today. The scratches in the stainless cover took some work to remove but it turned out pretty good. Used some Bar Keepers Friend with a med grit hand pad, then a fine grit, and finally 0000 steel wool.

Attachments

• AB52F115-CD49-4055-A89D-DEE02D7BFF22.jpeg
    AB52F115-CD49-4055-A89D-DEE02D7BFF22.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 7359E096-F031-4B0D-A854-AFEE02485833.jpeg
    7359E096-F031-4B0D-A854-AFEE02485833.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 963DA1E7-D972-4E72-ADF4-E07E838AD7EF.jpeg
    963DA1E7-D972-4E72-ADF4-E07E838AD7EF.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 29
Nice job. Glad to see your lid didn't have the burn marks on the outside as so many often do.

Back at it today. The control panel cleaned up nicely. The cookbox on the other hand, well, I don’t have to tell you guys. LOL Wish I had a sandblaster. A little tip … a small wood chisel with slightly rounded corners works better than a razor blade IMO.

A new handle should be here soon thanks to Steve Hoch. New ss flavorizor bars and stainless z brackets from Dave Santana are sitting on the shelf. I can’t wait to get this project finished.

Attachments

• 6D595274-51B0-4ADC-AD0E-DE683FF0D20F.jpeg
    6D595274-51B0-4ADC-AD0E-DE683FF0D20F.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 30
  • E84BCABE-72C4-4AD3-B53F-55FB96FFC7FF.jpeg
    E84BCABE-72C4-4AD3-B53F-55FB96FFC7FF.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 30
Kevin. It is tough to find an 8006 control panel that doesn't have a lot of fade and isn't rusty on the edges.

I would never try to use a razor blade on the cook box. Lid yes, cook box no.

I am looking forward to seeing where this project goes. Keep us posted.

Kevin. It is tough to find an 8006 control panel that doesn't have a lot of fade and isn't rusty on the edges.

I would never try to use a razor blade on the cook box. Lid yes, cook box no.

I am looking forward to seeing where this project goes. Keep us posted.
Yeah, the only time I use a razor blade is on the cookbox interior and I back scrape. I got most of the heavy crud out now. I may soak in some degreaser to get the rest

If that is a keeper grill. I say you already went above and beyond. After a dozen cooks, you won't even be able to tell how clean it was to start. Spend you effort elsewhere.

If you are going to flip the grill, then I do support a very clean cook box to separate it from every other used grill for sale out there.

If you got some wire cup brushes for a drill or angle grinder it would look slightly better, but not much. You did a great job and have to remember that it is a thirty year old cookbox. As far as the control panel goes, I use simple green and 000 fine steel wool followed up with another cleaning with steel wool and automotive car wax. That is good as it's going to get, I've tried everything.

Great tips from Bruce and Steve. I think you have a really nice grill coming along. I especially agree with Bruce that if this is a keeper, you are already there and then some. Keep the pictures coming when you can!

Back