Start-Up Questions for 22.5 - 12 racks of BB

Daniel Backer

I’m a long-time 18” owner, but recently received a 22.5” from the wife and only have one cook under my belt on it which was a couple high-heat turkeys on Thanksgiving. For the Super Bowl, my wife wants me to do 12 racks of BB’s. My plan is to do 6 on the top rack and 6 on the bottom rack, on two rib racks, cooking at 250-275 and no foiling. I’ve never done a cook this big and I’m new to the 22.5”, so I’m not really sure what start-up method and how much charcoal to use. Concerned about the amount of mass that’s going in the cooker, so was thinking of using standard method and no water in the pan and then catch temps on the way up. Using Kingford briquettes. Would love to hear any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

This is a WSM right? Haha

I think you plan sounds pretty sound although I would swap out the racks - trade places - half way done. I'd also go empty with the water pan as you suggested although definitely have it in there - empty.

Another idea is to do just do six at a time. After a couple-three hours with the first rack, wrap them on foil and finish them in the kitchen oven while you do the second six on the WSM. Personally I don't like to keep my racks on more than two hours or so because the color gets too dark. They're so much prettier with a nice rosy reddish color.

MHO

Good luck

Thanks for the quick response! Yep, WSM, should’ve mentioned that!

I like the idea of finishing in the oven, but no way my wife will let me anywhere near the oven given we have 40 people coming and she’s cooking a bunch of other stuff.

In terms of amount of charcoal, I was thinking two starters of unlit with one starter of lit on top - do you think that’s too much? Haven’t really figured out how much is needed for the WSM 22.5 yet.

Thanks

Do you have time to source a hanger setup for the wsm22? A dozen hung vertically should fit on a 22.

The big guy is a fuel hog so I would fill the ring almost full. 3/4 chimney of lit. Your looking at roughly a 4-4.5 hr cook depending on OT's cooking at 250-275.
It's probably gonna take a while to get to temp with that mass.
Like Mark mentioned rotate the racks, you get better color on the top rack going waterless.
What species of wood are you using?

DanHoo, I wasn’t thinking of a hanger setup but now I’m intrigued. This Lavalock rib hanger holds 12 and on Amazon could get to me by Friday. Is there really a big advantage to hanging? Would one side of the ribs get cooked faster than the other?

Timothy, appreciate the response on charcoal for the 22, that’s where I really don’t have a lot of experience so very helpful. Was planning on using a mix of cherry and oak.

I have zero first hand experience hanging ribs, but I've seen ribs hung that looked really good.

DanHoo, I wasn’t thinking of a hanger setup but now I’m intrigued. This Lavalock rib hanger holds 12 and on Amazon could get to me by Friday. Is there really a big advantage to hanging? Would one side of the ribs get cooked faster than the other?

Timothy, appreciate the response on charcoal for the 22, that’s where I really don’t have a lot of experience so very helpful. Was planning on using a mix of cherry and oak.

I have a Gateway rib hanger, that I usually do only 8 slabs on, but yes you could fit 12 with the Lavalock which comes with 12 hooks. You can always flip them halfway through your cook. I don’t, but then again I wrap them after I get the color I like and put the racks back in and lay them in there. Below is a pic with my Gateway drum instead of my WSM, but your experience should be similar.
39A577A0-C230-4BE2-A548-BEF3EBCBC24F.jpeg

Can you describe the difference?

I know taste is hard to describe...
I am talking about the smell that you get when the fat from the ribs melt & hit the coals. The fat rises up on the coals creating a different smell & taste. I think if you do choose that method, it may be best to wrap the ribs after a couple of hours. It’s a topic that has been on different forums many times, pro’s & cons, some love it others don’t. Although several enjoy it, it’s just not for me.

I am talking about the smell that you get when the fat from the ribs melt & hit the coals. The fat rises up on the coals creating a different smell & taste. I think if you do choose that method, it may be best to wrap the ribs after a couple of hours. It’s a topic that has been on different forums many times, pro’s & cons, some love it others don’t. Although several enjoy it, it’s just not for me.
Open pit. I agree it's a acquired taste.

Start with a full, to the top, basket of charcoal ! You really don't want to go thru the agony of adding coals during the cook.

Make the cook enjoyable !

I would consider the 'standard' method as one in which unlit coals are placed on top of lit coals. The other way around is attributed to Jim Minion. Hence, it's called the Minion Method. Doesn't matter if the lit are scattered on top the unlit, or placed inside a well at the center of the unlit pile. Still the Minion Method.

I agree with the suggested amount of charcoal by Timothy and Bob. I have both 18” and 22” WSM’s and the 22” is nowhere as efficient as the 18” and I try to avoid adding more mid-cook. Moving the ribs on top grate to lower grate when wrapped may be a good method to consider.

If you decide to hang, I suggest double hooking and put an unused grate over the coals....just in case

I like the taste with hanging over the coals, I never swap places or wrap, but rib racks on the grates works good too.
Fill the ring up, if theres coals left, shut it down and they'll be there for your next cook.

Hanging ribs IMO creates a different taste profile, almost an acquired taste.
Letting them drip into the coals......produces the different taste. If you have a catchpan under them, it will make no difference. A smell /taste reminescent of grilled fat.

I like the cleaner taste with th a catchpan /indirect heat for ribs personally. Or basically for all bbq. Bbq is not grilling....

Back