Stainless steel refresh

Andrei

Is there a recommended way of restoring stainless doors and front on 2007 Genesis? I bought one used, I see many random scratches. Is there a way to make it smooth and shiny again? I probably need an orbital sander for that, right? Could it be done on the cheap by hand?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm trying this! I noticed they might've done some scrubbing previously with abrasive pads, I see swirls, etc. Will this buff out in your opinion?
This one is a polish and had abrasives. So it should allow you to align the grain by polishing with the natural SS grain.

Read the reviews to make sure it’ll do what you seek. I use their products on my cars and they make high quality products.

I would suggest not worrying about it. You can get buff scratches out of paint on a car with abrasive pastes. You can smooth scratched up wood with progressive sandpaper grits. This is steel, and a fairly large area. I would suggest trying some of the above to make the finish better, and then living with result.

i agree with Scott Smith, it’s not like wood where you will remove finish and be able to put fresh varnish on to correct abrasion issues. This is an applied finish which is done on large sheets, you might (“might”) be able to help it some but, that might take a lot of practice and many failures. I’d let it be, it’s a grill, let it show some battle scars. If you do try, I wish you lots of luck!

I use Bon Ami on the Summit Charcoal table.

I also use it on my truck windows so I already have it on hand.

It does a reasonably good job, but it must be wiped with the grain. That little blurb on the can “hasn’t scratched yet” doesn’t apply if you wipe cross grain.

And I never use steel wool on brushed stainless steel- the steel wool leaves residue that remains in the grain of the stainless and rusts. I learned this when I bought a stainless steel kitchen sink about 30 years ago. Only Bon Ami on that also and it still looks good.

Fwiw

I seem to remember @Jon Tofte or @Joe Anshien doing an amazing job on a x000 burner cover. I could be misremembering though.

I recall them sanding with the grain with progressively finer sandpaper until it looked new.

I seem to remember @Jon Tofte or @Joe Anshien doing an amazing job on a x000 burner cover. I could be misremembering though.

I recall them sanding with the grain with progressively finer sandpaper until it looked new.
Must be Joe. I did once restore the stainless exterior of a Lazy Man grill. That stainless was corroded rather than scratched. I wound up using an orbital sander, cutting oil, and a series of ever finer grit sanding disks.

Post in thread 'Lazy Man Grill Anyone?'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/lazy-man-grill-anyone.79610/post-878216

Is there a recommended way of restoring stainless doors and front on 2007 Genesis? I bought one used, I see many random scratches. Is there a way to make it smooth and shiny again? I probably need an orbital sander for that, right? Could it be done on the cheap by hand?
I’m with Bob, I clean all stainless steel parts with Barkeepers Friend. It’s like a miracle.

Yeah, it was @Joe Anshien . See Reply #22. Amazing work, Joe!

I used to have a stainless Jenn-Air kitchen stove. The wife used SOS pads across the grain or it. A mess to say the least. I used a fairly course steel wool pad to restore the grain and then finer and finer pads until the finish was replicated. Time and patience.

Back