St. Louis style ribs & the skirt....

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
For those of you who trim spareribs St. Louis style, what do you do with the "skirt" section? I was thinking of putting the skirt in a pan with thinned BBQ sauce and just letting them simmer while the spareribs cook, but I'd love some other ideas. I haven't fixed pork spareribs since... well, it's been WAY too long. I bought a package at Costco - it had 2 racks in it. I might fix one of them untrimmed and the other St. Louis style, it depends on how the trimmed ones turn out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Same as Ger. Those rubbed and smoked trimmings are the best thing to add to your baked beans, and they freeze well for future use after smoking.

Mike, I throw them on the smoker along with the ribs. Makes a great snack while you're waiting for the main course to finish

I must admit I throw away the skirt. I smoke the rest of the trimmings with the ribs and snack on them prior to pulling the ribs

I save them for posole,or green chile stew.
Smoke roast them as I'm grillin up the peppers.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I save it and when I make spaghetti sauce cut this into smaller pieces and let it flavor the sauce (gravy). It breaks down and very easy to eat.

So it sounds like the skirt cooks faster than the ribs. If I can keep from munching on it while the ribs finish, I like the idea of adding to beans or spaghetti sauce. Do you guys put the skirt in a foil pan to simmer in sauce or just throw it on the grill?

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I usually rub everything (ribs and trimmings) and throw it on. I don't even lift the lid until the 3 hour mark and that is when I take off the trimmings. I usually have a pan of beans under the ribs which I also take off at that time. Chop up trimmings and add to the beans. I have never been able to keep myself from sampling some of the beans while the ribs finish cooking.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back