St Louis Style Pork Steaks

Dwain,
Those looks so good. I haven't cooked those up like that in a long time, the quality of your post makes me want to get on a cook like this!

I love those steaks. Just curious what makes them St Louis style?
St. Louis style pork steaks are a quick sear and then into a (usually a tomato based) BBQ sauce covered bath cooked until tender. Another amazing recipe/technique/ process I learned here.

That’s exactly right Michael. IMO, the key is to sear them over direct heat, cover them to braise in the sauce until tender, then uncover them and let the water boil off concentrating the sauce onto the seared steaks. So tender a knife is not required.

It is funny how things change when you move to a different area. When I moved to the St Louis area, pop became soda, when people said they were grilling some steaks that is what they meant (pork, not beef). And, of course, they tried to push Imo's as being pizza.

Last edited:
It is funny how things change when you move to a different area. When I moved to the St Louis area, pop became soda, when people said they were grilling some steaks that is what they meant (pork, not beef). And, of course, they tried to push Imo's as being pizza.
When I lived in Pittsburgh my favorite store name was the "Beer and Pop Store".

When I lived in Pittsburgh my favorite store name was the "Beer and Pop Store".
Words can have different meanings. When I was at Ohio State, a student from New York ordered a cherry soda and was shocked when he got a glass with ice cream, carbonated water and cherry syrup.

+1. After growing up in TX, I couldn’t believe when I ordered a BBQ sandwich in VA and they asked me if I wanted slaw. I said sure (thinking it would be on the side). I never realized she meant on the sandwich! 🤦‍♂️

That looks amazing, I’m not familiar with pork steaks but clearly I should be.

That looks amazing, I’m not familiar with pork steaks but clearly I should be.
A pork steak is a pork shoulder that is sliced into steaks. You can see the blade bone in Dwain's beauties above. For the longest time I would have to buy I pork shoulder and ask my butcher to cut them into steaks, but now, my local high end butcher shop, Walmart, and my local grocery store are carrying them prepped and ready to buy. This is one of those meals I really love, but that my family is not big on so I don't make them near as much as I would if...
You see why with them coming from the shoulder then needs to be some time to tender them up. I did a reverse method one time on these, but will always do the front sear and bath until tender moving forward.

Words can have different meanings. When I was at Ohio State, a student from New York ordered a cherry soda and was shocked when he got a glass with ice cream, carbonated water and cherry syrup.
When we would got get wings (at the bar) with my grandfather in Pittsburgh we would be reminded to NOT order a Soda for that very reason. "Soda is an ice cream drink" my grandfather would always say.

Love pork steaks, took me awhile to learn the correct way to grill them, guess I could have asked on here and saved a lot of good pork.
Barb told me awhile back that Safeway had Pork shoulder on sale for $.99 Lb, so I said pick one up but forgot to tell her to have it sliced up for steaks. Now I have the queen mother of pork shoulders 14 1/2-pounds of it occupying my freezer.:oops:

Love pork steaks, took me awhile to learn the correct way to grill them, guess I could have asked on here and saved a lot of good pork.
Barb told me awhile back that Safeway had Pork shoulder on sale for $.99 Lb, so I said pick one up but forgot to tell her to have it sliced up for steaks. Now I have the queen mother of pork shoulders 14 1/2-pounds of it occupying my freezer.:oops:
Pork was finally cheap at Costco again. Picked up a couple butts for next weekend.

Boneless so a bit cheaper..., and no slat water added. So more meat per pound. But still, the best deal is local grocery chains when 99cents or so.
Unfortunately, I have better luck with the salty bone ones. I need to up my skill to get the costco (admittedly better) shoulders to end up as well as the sleazy ones

I never heard of pork steaks until I moved to St. Louis. I do like them, though. It’ll be my next cook, not this one. Doing NY strip steaks tonight:cool:

Back