SSP Char Bin

Jason A.

I am restoring a 1999 SSP that I picked up. Will do a complete tear down, repaint the frame, reassemble with SS fasteners, and thorough cleaning of kettle and GBS grate. new parts also include ash can, burner tube assy, thermometer (handle mounted) and maybe wood handles. However, the one part I am having trouble finding is the Char Bin (it was missing). Weber discontinued it and the parts sites don’t have it either. Any suggestions on where else to look, or maybe someone has an extra they no longer need? Thanks!

I ordered one from Weber, but that was ~8 years ago. Hard to find those these days.

I came across a really cool idea where someone installed a side burner in place of the charcoal bin.

FB_IMG_1597154566260.jpgFB_IMG_1597154574895.jpgFB_IMG_1597154583262.jpgFB_IMG_1597154609452.jpgScreenshot_20200811-100317.png

I am restoring a 1999 SSP that I picked up. Will do a complete tear down, repaint the frame, reassemble with SS fasteners, and thorough cleaning of kettle and GBS grate. new parts also include ash can, burner tube assy, thermometer (handle mounted) and maybe wood handles. However, the one part I am having trouble finding is the Char Bin (it was missing). Weber discontinued it and the parts sites don’t have it either. Any suggestions on where else to look, or maybe someone has an extra they no longer need? Thanks!
If you need a new thermometer, I'd avoid the Weber one...it's pretty junky.
Here is a nice one from Tel-Tru

Wood handles, look up River City Woodworks on Facebook, Mark makes some excellent handles. He can also make handles for the top vent, charcoal bin door and wooden lid bale rollers.

All the bolts are 1/4-20 thread, can find those at any hardware store.

Thanks. I've sourced all my other parts so far. All SS fasteners, new star inserts, etc. I like the stove idea, but would rather keep the original configuration. Now looking for a small trash can that I can use in place of the CharBin I can't find. Just a square one about 14.5" rim and a 12.5" body, should drop right in if I can find one! And I'll check out River City Woodworks for the handles, thanks!

Back