SS Performer Restore Begun

Dave Mazz

TVWBB Super Fan
I have fully disassembled my 2003 SS Performer. The bolts holding it together were almost disintegrated from rust through, making disassembly quite easy. The bowl is going to be replaced; already have a new Green one from Weber. Ordered a new burner tube, current design lid bale, new ash can, new wheels and casters, all stainless hardware, and also a new Green lid.

There is some minor rust on the cross tubes, so I plan to sand blast with walnut shells. Will repaint the frame. I'm also going to set it up for using the 1lb. Propane cylinders, like on my new Performer Deluxe. Sorry I did not think to take any before pics. I'll try to remember to take pics during the rebuild.

One area that stumps me is cleaning up the stainless steel table. There are large stains that developed from rain water getting under the old Weber cover and staying set for long periods. Never liked that cover. I used stainless steel cleaner - no improvement. I used Magic Eraser - noticeable improvement, but still the stains are visible. I can live with that, but would really like to get them gone.

if anyone has suggestions, I'm open for ideas.

When using Barkeepers friend, always rub end to end or side to side, not round and round. I have seen it leave swirl marks in softer stainless steel. You can always test it on the underside to see if it leaves marks. If the stainless has a grain, rub with the grain. Cleaned up the hood on my SS330 really well.

Did you buy a new bowl and lid? Or did Weber cover either of those?

that’s going to be a killer grill once you’re done fixing it up

Dave in KC and Stefan H recommended Barkeepers Friend and/or baking soda with a scotchbrite pad to remove stains on my Performer restore. I shed away from steel wool due to scratching potential. Worked like a charm!

Did you buy a new bowl and lid? Or did Weber cover either of those?

that’s going to be a killer grill once you’re done fixing it up
Kyle - I bought both. The bowl was $159, but Weber discounted it to $89, because I ordered a new ash can that would not fit my old bowl. The lid listed for $89, and they discounted it to $69, because I was buying other parts. I did not ask for discounts, but they offered, so I accepted. Not sure when I'll get this all done.

Wow, that's not a bad price at all for new.

You can repurpose your old bowl and lid as a fire pit! I'm actually building one of those out of my old Performer soon.

Well, I've sanded and wire brushed the frame parts. Also painted the end frames and the two tubes that go between, and the front panel has been modified with the new Performer regulator so I can use the 1 lb cylinders. It's also been painted. Just finished painting the bottom side of the top frame. Will do the top side tomorrow, and probably start reassembling Tuesday night. The Bar Keeper's Friend did an awesome job on the stainless panel and lid. Thanks to all for the recommendation. Wish me luck on the reassembly. I'll post pics on the final results.

Dave. sounds as if your doing it right, should be a like new stainless performer when you're done.
But remember no pictures then it never happened 😉

Last edited:
Dave, make sure you hang out to the propane tank fittings for the 5 lbs tank. Those things are expensive to replace, so you could probably sell it if you wanted too.

Dave, make sure you hang out to the propane tank fittings for the 5 lbs tank. Those things are expensive to replace, so you could probably sell it if you wanted too.
Kyle - Already sold the 5 lb tank, fittings, regulator, and tube to a guy at work. He's going to retrofit to his Weber kettle.

Dave, you did a great job giving that one a new life! Better than brand new.

I ran across this post on Facebook, if you feel like pushing it to the next level and adding a side burner. Such a cool idea, but I think I'd like the storage of the charcoal bin over the side burner.

SS Side table 2.jpgSS Side table 3.jpgSS Side table 4.jpgSS Side table.jpg

You know, I’m torn, I have so many grills and don’t really need anything else, I can’t justify buying any tools but, I can see the use of owning a welder! The ability to seriously reconstruct/rebuild/redesign would make me spend a lot of time out of my wife’s hair!

Hey Dave, I'm working on a 1996 Blue SS Performer restore and I'm thinking about converting it to use 1lb tanks. Can you share a picture showing how you mounted the 1lb tank on yours??
Joe, will do. It's raining cats and dogs today in Blue Grass. I did have to make a bracket to mount the cylinder regulator that the 1lb. cylinder threads onto. Also bought the regulator kit for the current Performers. Just don't tell the operator you may speak with at Weber, you plan on using it to convert an older Performer to the 1lb. cylinders. I made that mistake and they refused to sell me the kit. So I ordered it elsewhere. As soon as the weather breaks, which looks to be Monday, I will take some pics and post in this thread.

Back