SS Grate for 22" kettle

Ryan Burke

TVWBB Fan
Any suggestions for a quality one that won't break the bank? Getting tired of replacing the standard grate every couple of years.

These are what I found by doing a Google search.

Hunsaker has one for $60 - I came close when I pulled my kettle out of the crawlspace in April. Think I can get another season out of the OEM grate.

I bought a SS grill grate off amazon for my kettle in 2019 , and have been happy with it. I've used it over my vortex a few times and it's still in good shape. Looks like it goes for $45 now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1K25JT/?tag=tvwb-20

The one Joe posted from SNS is more expensive @ about $75, but probably better quality (fit to the grill, thickness of rods, etc..)
The Amazon grate is 201 SS. I looked it up.

Type 201​

Type 201 stainless steel is unique as it was created in response to soaring nickel prices. This means that it is cheaper, but it also has much lower nickel content. Without as much nickel, it is not as effective at preventing corrosion.

The higher levels of manganese help make type 201 one of the strongest types of stainless steel banding. Industries that prefer this type are those looking for more durability at a lower cost and are not worried about exposure to corrosive elements.

Like type 304, this type is also commonly used to attach signs, and for other plumbing needs. Although it is not as resistant to corrosion, it still has good corrosion protection.

Type 201 stainless steel is especially helpful in cold environments, as its toughness holds up in cold weather. To make up for its lack of nickel, you’ll find its composed with more manganese and nitrogen.

As the cheapest type of stainless steel, type 201 seems the most appealing. Still, it will not hold up as long in highly corrosive environments.

I have the one from SNS and am happy with it, very good quality and probably the last one I'll ever need...the one from Killa Grilla is excellent as well.

Think I am going to order the Hunsaker. That's about what I was looking to spend. I have enjoyed using their griddle plate over the last year.

Purchased the SS Easy Spin Grate for my long-gone Weber Mastertouch Kettle from SlowNSear(SNS).com a few years back and I still remain one-happy SlowNSear Customer as it is now parked on on my Weber Performer Deluxe Grill along-side of my SS SNS Plus, SNS SS DripNGriddle Pan,SNS SS Elevated Grate.

Last edited:
Here are a couple older posts you might want to read.

I own the KillaGrilla, SnS EasySpin, and the basic Hunsaker SS grate.
Hunsaker is very nice if you don't need flip sides.
KillaGrilla is a tank and certainly the better built grate that I imagine will last longer. Thicker SS rods. It's my favorite, by far.
SnS EasySpin is also very nice if you can't drop the cash for a KillaGrilla. Sign up for there emails and they will eventually offer 10-15% off that grate.

Think I am going to order the Hunsaker. That's about what I was looking to spend. I have enjoyed using their griddle plate over the last year.

I think you will be happy with that grate. It doesn't have flip sides, but it's very well built. I am using one as my charcoal grate on my 26" kettle.
I asked the guys at Hunsaker if they could make one with flip sides, but they did not seem interested in that when I asked them last year.

Does SNS still make the grate that's completely open/detachable, or have they discontinued that for the flip-only model?

I've been contemplating bending the little loops on the flip up panel so I can remove the panel. Once done though, I doubt it will work well if try to replace the panel without squeezing the loops tight. If SNS had made the opening on the attachments points face down it would work, but facing up will result in the panel disconnecting when you fold it up.

I, like you Ryan , got tired of replacing the standard grate every year. The only benefit besides being cheaper, you get a shiny new grate. But they kept creeping up in price. I went with the SS grate from sns grills. Have owned it for a couple yrs very happy with it.

Back