SRF Frozen Burgers

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Looooooong time between picture posts. Still at it, just not as diligent about documenting my cooks! Thought this would be interesting so here goes...

I am always on quest for great burgers and have tried probably >30 frozen varieties plus various sources for fresh ground, etc. I think I currently have 5 different types in freezer! Anyway, saw these at local Harris Teeter and decided to give them a shot. Almost $16 for the box, so they are pricey. HT has carried SRF vac packed ground beef for some time and I've tried it in the past without good results. So I was hesitant, esp at $16. 20210313_184058_resized.jpg

You can see these are large - 8oz. They were also super dense and relatively thick. No machine work on the burger to expedite cooking (no holes, indentations, ridges, etc).
20210313_184116_resized.jpg

SRF says cook frozen - I did. Seasoned with Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt. Cooked indirect on gasser until not frozen - about 45 degrees internal.

20210313_185339_resized.jpg

Plenty of fat on these suckers (and my grill)...had to move indirect 2x while finishing.
20210313_190140_resized.jpg

Temped to ~120/125 and then added pepper jack cheese on one as it finished.

20210313_190641_resized.jpg

No plated pics. Would guess they finished about 145/150 internal. Some pink, very juicy. A lot less than 8oz finished I gather.

I'd give them a "very good" rating. Good flavor, definitely a different texture -almost like steak I suppose. Super juicy, though I imagine they would be tough if cooked much longer. I would put them behind a handful of others though...fresh ground can be really inconsistent, but nothing beats a really good batch of fresh ground. Also I'd say I prefer both fresh and frozen Pat LaFreida ground beef blends on the rare occasion I can get either. A few others in same range but cheaper, lol. I'd get again, but not often.

Thanks for looking. This is one of the last cooks on the old gasser... new SE 330 coming Wednesday!

They look plenty tasty, Jim!
Most everyone says go with 80/20 grind, but I like to go with 75/25, and lately some 73/27, for burgers.
We're much happier with the moisture, and flavor.

Thanks for posting this, Jim. The burgers look pretty juicy. I'm with you on the fresh grind. That's all I do for our burgers now. 5-1, beef to pork belly. I use mostly chuck roast, but will occasionally mix in some sirloin or tri-tip.

Post up some pic of the SE-330! What color did you get???

Back