SPOG rub on steaks?

Chuck G

TVWBB Member
This has probably been asked and answered, but I couldn’t find a thread about it.
I’ve used SPOG (salt, pepper, onion, garlic) rub when smoking, but have never used it when grilling steaks.
I’ve heard that the pepper scorches under high heat. Makes sense to me, but a lot of people seem to use it when grilling.
Any advice on this?

When I put an allium on beef/pork steaks/chops I also use soy sauce for salt and I've never noticed any excessive bitterness, but that could be me more than any scientific reason. I'm grilling a piece or sirloin tomorrow night and will do it this way to see what happens.

I recently made my own batch of SPG, and have added it to several steaks and even smash burgers. I have been very pleased with the flavor. That said, I’m still in my infancy in terms of using the SPG, but so far so good.
Tim

Last edited:
I have been using Weber's version of it with good results on items like cubed steak and pork chops. For what it's worth, I like to rinse & dry the meat, apply seasoning to both sides, and let everything "air-inate" uncovered in the fridge overnight. This gives the spices time to penetrate the meat.

Scorched pepper sounds cool :p
Nah it's not. I'll use the seasonings like a rub if it's a thicker steak that is not going to be cooked over a ripping hot fire. On thick cuts I don't use the extreme heat or you get the bullseye effect on the meat and I find that unpleasant. So on those cuts they get full rub treatment. Over extreme heat I use only salt and leave the rest of the seasonings until later so they don't burn. Sometimes I do it at the first flip since on thinner cuts I usually only flip once

I’m with Larry also. Tried the pepper last night and didn’t care for it. I sear at 500-600 - it definitely scorched the pepper.

I use Montreal (which has all of these and more)seasoning on steak,lamb, chuck roast. And it in parts a very good flavor.

I do salt and pepper typically. Occasionally I put something else on. I've never found the pepper to be particularly bitter cooked over high heat, but for the most part I agree. I do a reverse sear and my meat really isn't seared that long so maybe that's the difference. Some people are more sensitive to that than others. I don't particularly enjoy that burnt taste either.

Actually the only things I use on a really nice steak is a little EVOO S&P. I skip the garlic powder. Taste is too harsh for me. I salt generously after the oil, and when I flip I pepper lightly.

If you would like to try a great seasoning try S P and "Santa Maria Seasoning". Fantastic on beef & chops. I buy mine at Sprouts or Vons.

Bill

Back