Spirit 210 Curbside rescue

Jayde

My neighbor put a Spirit 210 at the curb, I just couldn't let waste management take it to the landfill, so I brought it home. After a quick inspection, it has some rust, needs new flavor bars, probably needs a new igniter , but overall it seems to be in good (but filthy) condition. I would like to fix this up for my in-laws, but before I get started, any advice? I know some models can be finicky and have inherent issues and I would like to not sink too much money into it. I rehabbed a Genesis 1000 several years ago (it's due for a spruce up), so I am not going into this totally blind.

The plan is getting new flavor bars from rcplanebuyer, replacing the ignitor (I had to manually light it), and giving it a thorough scrub down. The amount of grease on this thing is unreal!

When lighting the grill manually, the 2nd burner tube did not catch on it's own, I had to manually light it. They look in good shape and probably need a cleaning. The disintegrated flavor bars were sitting directly on them so I am sure its clogged.

I have contacted Weber about the rust on the bottom cabinet and am waiting to hear back.

Hopefully this will be a quick rehab and not too expensive. Thanks!

-Jayde

Attachments

• 20200430_174707.jpg
    20200430_174707.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200430_174723.jpg
    20200430_174723.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200430_174736.jpg
    20200430_174736.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200430_174747.jpg
    20200430_174747.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 65
I personally wouldn't drop a premium set of RCP flavorizer bars in that, but it is up to you. For a give away grill, I would get a good quality set of flavorizer bars off Amazon as well as some good solid rod stainless grates.
I just rehabbed a Genesis silver A and I got a set of 16 gauge SS flavorizer bars for it and they were $29 delivered.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F6DXS3T/tvwb-20

I also got solid rod SS grates tha seemed very good quality at $41
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07MH7DJBR/tvwb-20

I am pretty sure the grates would fit an E210. but not sure about the flavo bars.

Here is a set of Flavo bars that should fit your grill. Quilimetal seems to be a good aftermarket supplier for weber parts.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07KWMG3Z6/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I have to agree with Bruce. Don’t put very expensive interior parts into it. The Achilles heel on these grills is the cabinet. They love to rust. A lot . Not sure Weber will replace it since cabinet parts only have a 2 year warranty on these.
My recommendation: Take the floor panel off, get the rust off and repaint. But it may look worse from underneath.
you can also replace the floor with a wood board.

Yep, I have one of those E210 Spirits. Not worth rehabbing. I would throw some decent bars and grates on it, clean it up and give it to a friend or relative if/when that situation arises. And of course, there is rust on the base.

Weber won't warranty the bottom, but you might sweet talk them into a low enough price to be worth it to you. Depends on what you feel is acceptable. I am totally with Bruce that this isn't an rcplanebuyer grill. Use the savings to maybe pay for a new bottom. With that and some light work on the rest of the cabinet it will look decent for a while. If kept in a garage it might even last a good while.

Any of Bruce's recommendations will work well. I am a little partial to Qlimetal, but see what each offers for the money. The flavorizer bars I have gotten from Qlimetal I feel have nothing to be ashamed of compared to rc's. His grates, on the other hand, have no equal.

Thanks, I will look for less expensive bars. Luckily the grates are in great shape. I was actually looking at removing the bottom and removing the rust and repainting. It seems to be limited to just the left side. I dont really see much anywhere else. 🤞

My in laws dont grill much anymore, I think because the charcoal grill is too much for my father in law (he has Parkinson's). He misses smoking a cigar while some steaks are on the grill, so hopefully this will work out for them.

As others have mentioned .... do not buy expensive flavorizers OR ANY THING for that matter
for this grill. It is a decent all around grill with many disposable parts.
You can get new stainless burners and flavorizers from Amazon for less than $40.
Those grates will likely be fine also. Remove the rust and reseason.
Weber won't warranty the bottom, but you can get a new one for about $70 if
you sweet talk the rep. IF YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET A REP ON THE PHONE right now.
By the looks of that floor, I would do as Stefen recommended .... sand it down, hit with
rust reformer, paint, and it should be a nice reliable grill for a few more years.

Yes I have heard that most or all Weber employees are working from home and they are struggling to response to all calls.

Thanks, I will look for less expensive bars. Luckily the grates are in great shape. I was actually looking at removing the bottom and removing the rust and repainting. It seems to be limited to just the left side. I dont really see much anywhere else. 🤞

My in laws dont grill much anymore, I think because the charcoal grill is too much for my father in law (he has Parkinson's). He misses smoking a cigar while some steaks are on the grill, so hopefully this will work out for them.
Nice gesture. I think the grill should be perfect then.

Yes I have heard that most or all Weber employees are working from home and they are struggling to response to all calls.
Stefan, I think a portion of the Weber C/S work from home and have done so for years. I know of two people in my area that did it out of their homes. However, They probably have a main core that work in a center somewhere in Illinois however.

How much would you flip one for after a quick clean?

I just picked this up the other day for free with 2 full propane tanks. It just needs a quick clean up and new igniter. Cabinet is in great shape.

FA6A86A6-D735-46DB-B6D6-B870FA79F2DA.jpegFA6A86A6-D735-46DB-B6D6-B870FA79F2DA.jpeg

Attachments

• 32C79EB9-4A23-4F9D-9D34-294F08169ECE.jpeg
    32C79EB9-4A23-4F9D-9D34-294F08169ECE.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2
On a quick clean, I would say you could probably get around $100 or so. It depends on how clean and how that cabinet really looks.
Great curbside pickup though.

On a quick clean, I would say you could probably get around $100 or so. It depends on how clean and how that cabinet really looks.
Great curbside pickup though.

Cabinet interior. I’m seeing some small bubbling under paint in spots On the exterior floor around the edges of cabinets.

Not to bad for a dry climate.

I put it up for $175 with partially filled propane tank. I’m in a higher income area and that price gives me room to give a “discount”.

Will be posting it on Bay Area CL for second home owners as well.

7B3E6286-B83E-463D-9CFB-F5F5DDA32631.jpeg7B3E6286-B83E-463D-9CFB-F5F5DDA32631.jpeg

I sold that same grill for $200 without a tank...but I installed new SS flavor bars and burners on it. You should get $175 easily, especially in a high income area.

Back